BZFlag Beta Build 2.0.3b17

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
The Passion of the Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Passion of the Tank »

Um... about the /say command. You know how it shows the person who uses it afterwards... I was wondering if you can make that an option instead of making it a default. If it was a default, would it be nice to have a switch to turn it off.

There's a tweak that can be made in the Linux/Mac because of the building business, it's not very easy for us Windows servers to tweak the source code. Well at least us code-illiterates.
It's called passion, not luck.
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Edit: Nevermind it was a problem with my computer
Last edited by M1A2AbramsTank on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

This vesion gone. It crashes as well.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Gone?

It does crash on my machine - or rather, the sound still works and as far as I can tell I am still connected, but my graphics go beserk. Sometimes they dissappear, sometimes they flicker.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

By gone - I mean useless. It always crashes at some point on my computer. A total hang - the sounds just repeating and the computers in a total lockup. I have to restart. It's a awful pest
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Same here...
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Yours also hangs?
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Yes it does for no reason at all somtimes. Im there and suddenly nothing moves no sound nothing at all.... Also some other times it just shutsdown completely.
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Just the same here. What OS are you running? RPG has my VC and XP SP2 and his doesn't seem to go down, so I suspect it's a Win98 thing.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I'm running linux and it still crashes, albeit not as seriously. There was only one time when I actually had to reboot.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Whenever I've had Linux, I never had to restart. The worst ones were just logouts. Must have been bad. Obviously these new versions have some bad code.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

AlliedArmour wrote:Just the same here. What OS are you running? RPG has my VC and XP SP2 and his doesn't seem to go down, so I suspect it's a Win98 thing.
Correction: WinXP SP1
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

Oh. Sorry. You should get SP2.
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

I get crashes aswell every so often. Windows XP SP2. I have had to reboot a couple of times because of this.
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

I though(initially), that this problem only occured on my machine. Or rather, 98.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

TD-Linux wrote:Are these optimizations included 'ON' in the makefile with the CVS Linux version of BZFlag? Or are these optimizations only for Windows? I would like to see my 600mhz Athlon get more than 15fps at 320x240 someday, even with texturing and lighting off.
Compiler optimizations like these won't help you very much. Judging from your framerate, you are using software rendering, I will assume that no hardware rendering is available. I have played with software rendering on a dual P3-500 for years. It helped to me run a second X server at 8 bit of color depth and put bzflag at 800x600 resolution. Of course, switch all expensive optins off: textures, smoothing, blending, set control panel to be 100% opaque, it needs less refreshes this way.

Font rendering is probably also a bottleneck for you. Try and edit your config file and add 'set useBitmapFontRenderer 1'. This will make bz use a different font renderer which isn't as capable as the texture based one, but is most probably much faster without hardware support.