BZFlag 2.0.4 Released

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Heh, I'm in the changelog toooo :D I wonder how they got my name...

The Mac binary is now posted in the files section. The build should work on 10.2+, please report if it doesn't work for you. Thanks to CBG and menotume for narrowing down the background image selection.. save your great screenshots and submit them for future releases if you want..
Are you gona desupport 10.2 after this? (Jeff was talking about it to me)...

I'll be willing to do a 10.2 compile if you guys desupport it...
(i've installed five libraries now that people told me was impossible... and gotten several Panther only apps to run on my Jaguar)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

2.0.x will probably be the last version to support 10.2 with our shiped binarys, that should give people time to upgrade. Die hard 10.2's can build from source if they want to. It's not like we are going to go out of our way to NOT make it work in 10.2, it's just a PITA to build it and have the binary support 10.2 when you are using something later like 10.4
ImageJeffM
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

It's on the chopping board, but not for certain yet. Maintaining the 10.2 build is a pain due to the variety of issues like broken headers, old libraries, an old compiler, and old build system tools. The newer versions of Mac OS X also have better drivers as well as a slew of other improvements across the board that make it a worth-while upgrade. Still, for those who can't there's no need to fret just yet.. Maybe sometime next year, maybe not. ;-)
Shadowpillar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Shadowpillar »

forget using the Opkg this time
take a look at www.autopackage.org I'd prefer if autopackage was used for linux installer stuff (because distros dont update the games often, hell ubuntu is still stuck on 1.10, last I heard, breezy wont fix this either)
Autopackage also integrates nicely with gnome and KDE's menus.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Well, with lots of help I finally managed to compile 2.0.4 from source. So I don't need any Obelisk, auopackage or whatever stuff. But thanks for replying to my request!

Re: Mac Binary is posted

Post by Guest »

learner wrote:The Mac binary is now posted in the files section. The build should work on 10.2+, please report if it doesn't work for you. Thanks to CBG and menotume for narrowing down the background image selection.. save your great screenshots and submit them for future releases if you want.. ;)
In turn, I would like to thank the following for helping me take hundreds of screenshots:
jpa-
brad2901
toughshooter
lil dog
Although the screenshot used was taken solely by menotume. :)
:roll: 8)
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

2.0.4 works directly from the download... although Global loggin didn't work and that stupid couldn't find port error came up...
(I had to forcequit then I everything worked fine...)

Oh, is there anywhere I can get all the map objects?
(even the new world weapon events?)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Early OSX10.3.9 report: Great!

Post by optic delusion »

Running both server and client under OSX10.3 seemed perfect, in the first hour.
Recent list-server problems using CVS and no-ip account seem resolved.
Only surprise was the server acted like -loadplugin commands did not exist, and gave "unknown command" for /listplugins.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
learner
General
General

plugin support

Post by learner »

Mac OS X 10.2 doesn't support the dynamic plugin mechanism that the server uses to load plugins. So this required disabling plugin support in order to simply build the server for the Mac release. When 10.2 support is dropped or if we start making version-specific releases (which are a pain), then the server can be built with plugin support.

If people want to run servers using plugins, they'll have to download and compile the server themselves. This is recommended regardless since the plugin api is constantly being improved upon and new facilities are being added much faster than bzflag will be making releases.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

NP

Post by optic delusion »

Well, that answers some of the questions I never asked about why I could not compile the client under 10.3. At least now I have an updated client.
It should be no problem to do a fresh server compile using
./configure --disable-client --enable-plugins

Thank's Learner, and All of the Dev team!

Edited.
Yes, plugins work with CVS server only.
Last edited by optic delusion on Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

woo hoo, 2.0.4 is finally realeased!! great job devs!

BTW, whoever changed the download page on bzflag.org spelt "really" wrong
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

where is 2.0.4 for mac?
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

It's on the BZFlag SourceForge project site in the Files section under the bzflag Mac OS X group. The main website leads you there, this website leads you there, google leads you there. Hard to not find it if you actually look for it... http://sf.net/projects/bzflag
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

eagle wrote:where is 2.0.4 for mac?
Go here to download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bzfl ... g?download
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Just downloaded from CVS, compiling tommorrow. Can't wait to try it out. A big thanks to all the devs.

(Bah, it's too late at night for complete sentences)
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: lockup with burrow

Post by cookiecutter »

Mozul wrote:Hello All. I just installed BZ 2.0.4 and played at secretplace for a while. I had burrow flag and was turning and all of a sudden, I got the mouse cursor on screen and bz no longer responded. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the process killed. I was being chased, and could have been near a block or something.
Exact same thing is happening to me. All of a sudden bzflag just freezes.

I'm guessing it's because I have windows ME, which according to the readme is not supported. Can someone verify if that is true?

EDIT: Tested on an XP machine and it works fine. So I'm gonna switch OS's on my machine. I'm long overdue really...
Pwnz@Secretplace
Bozo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: lockup with burrow

Post by Bozo »

cookiecutter wrote:
Mozul wrote:Hello All. I just installed BZ 2.0.4 and played at secretplace for a while. I had burrow flag and was turning and all of a sudden, I got the mouse cursor on screen and bz no longer responded. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the process killed. I was being chased, and could have been near a block or something.
Exact same thing is happening to me. All of a sudden bzflag just freezes.

I'm guessing it's because I have windows ME, which according to the readme is not supported. Can someone verify if that is true?

EDIT: Tested on an XP machine and it works fine. So I'm gonna switch OS's on my machine. I'm long overdue really...
I'm having the same problem. Just chatted with a dev and it seems the only commonality they know of is that those with the problem are all on win 9x (includes ME). They haven't been able to reproduce the lockups. Guess I'll go back to 2.0.2 for now. I don't want to buy a new OS, and I haven't been able to get the linux versions to work. Oh, well.
"They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at Newton. Of course, they also laughed at Bozo ..." -Carl Sagan
Sharpshooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sharpshooter »

Unfortunately, a "bug" or whatever it is came back on my client that I thought 2.0.2 got rid of (was in 2.0.0). Once in a while when I join a server, It says "getsokname: failed. Cannot get tcp port?". So I have to forcequit BZFlag and then restart.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Try using 2.0.4! Why do you always use the old verions?
Sharpshooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sharpshooter »

Well RPG, I forgot to say im using 2.0.4, but I said that WHEN I had 2.0.2, it looked like it got rid of it, and now it looks like it's back.
crazyme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crazyme »

Who is it who compiles the Mac binaries? Thanks to that person. However, I do have a request. I'm running 10.2 on an older laptop, and I don't have enough VRAM to run BZFlag fullscreen. I was wondering if you could compile a copy with windowed mode as default instead of fullscreen. Thanks!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we can't just "compile" it with windowed mode by default as window mode is a command line option not a build option.

Best thing for you would be to make a small shell script that runs bzfs with the -window -geometry XXXxYYY option ( insert your sizes ). or edit your config to allways have those values.
ImageJeffM
crazyme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crazyme »

Actually, I've looked through the code before, and tweaked it so that it would start in window, but I could never get it to compile on any of my computers, even unedited. I'll try out the -window command.
crazyme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crazyme »

Cool! That never worked in 2.0.2 or 2.0.3 CVS! Thanks Alot!

Edit: Scratch that. I just realized why it didn't work. Once you invoke the app in terminal, you can't get into the window to use the app. Any ideas?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

crazyme wrote:Cool! That never worked in 2.0.2 or 2.0.3 CVS! Thanks Alot!

Edit: Scratch that. I just realized why it didn't work. Once you invoke the app in terminal, you can't get into the window to use the app. Any ideas?
I know you can use this:

Code: Select all

/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS/bzflag -window
If BZFlag is named something else use that - you need .app at the end, though.

Hope that helps! :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com