BZList is returning

External websites, for and about BZFlag
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZList is returning

Post by The Noah »

Hello everyone,

A while ago I made a service providing information about servers and players and called it BZList, however it was poorly made. Later I completely remade it (twice) with major improvements. I'm officially releasing it in a tomorrow. The client is open-source and can be accessed at https://bzlist.net and the code is on GitHub at https://github.com/bzlist/. The site is mobile friendly and also works offline (although data won't be updated). I am also currently making a plug-in which will provide live information to the database which is automatically synced to clients.

How servers are queried and what is stored
Every 10 minutes a script is run (using a cron job) which gets the official server list from https://my.bzflag.org/db/ and checks each server and if there are any players online it will query it. Otherwise it will just save the data from the server list. If there is no stored data for the server then even if there are no players online it will be queried.

All saved data is publicly accessible via Firebase (it might take some Googling and looking through the source code). Here is the general outline:

Code: Select all

address, IP, owner, country, protocol, title, teams, players, configuration
BZList is still in beta with heavy active development. I plan to keep it alive as long as BZFlag is.

I'm announcing it early so any server owners who wish to not have their servers queried can contact me. Just send me a PM. The data is only updated every once in a while manually until it's released tomorrow (2019-5-2) sometime in the morning or afternoon (US) then it will be set to automatically update.
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZList is returning

Post by The Noah »

BZList is now officially released and the cron job to is running every 10 minutes.
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Something I wanted these list and log sites to do for a while now, was keep a log of callsigns that played on certain maps, at least for the last 48 hours or so.

Strayer's has something very close to it, showing activity per team in the last 24 hours on a graph, but doesn't log the callsigns, at least as far as I know. The only shown callsigns are of currently active players.

Display of such data would be possible from the data at-hand already, one just has to do it.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

I'm planning on adding that feature, but thanks for your feedback!

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

With the official release nearing, data is now queried every 5 minutes like Strayers.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I had to refresh the page twice to get the current version of the site. Initially I was still getting the old layout with data that was 187 days old.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Looks quite nice! Just a slight typo I found in the attachments; seems to appear for all servers on the list.
Attachments
seconds.png
seconds.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

blast: Yeah that's because of the old service worker.
tainn: Whoops, thanks for the catch!

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

I've created a short survey, it would help greatly if people filled it out. Survey.

There is still a lot that I'm working on, so don't worry if BZList is missing something.

etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

I like it. One thing though, are notifications supposed to work? I granted permissions in browser and tried testing by adding favorite server and a friend, but I get no notifications for either.
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

Never mind, I started getting notifications.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

I created a Discord server for feedback and up-to-date information so I don't fill the forums with it, feel free to join: https://discord.gg/fBWGDBx

skidmark
Private
Private

Post by skidmark »

Thanks for bringing that back!
bz_next
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bz_next »