Private First Class

Map making tutorial site

Post by Peter »

http://bzflagmapping.wordpress.com/
So far I have covered....

World Weapons
Water levels
Death Objects
Texturing your map (not a complete guide on textures)
Testing your map

You can use the search bar to search for tutorials (only 5 on though)
I know they are long but it dose the job.

I was planning on making them all video tutorials and doing them all my self, but that would be stupid of me because I only know a fraction of what some people do. So please, if you know enough about map making that you can make a tutorial on how to do something in particular, like making spheres, cones, texture different sides of a meshbox with different textures, ect ect, make a tutorial of that skill (it dosn't have to be a video tutorial) and Private message me so I can put it on there, so that others can learn and so we can start having better maps on the list. When you send a tutorial to me....
You will get full credit for the tutorial.
It may me edited.
Each tutorial should be in an easy to follow step by step style, so that even the most novice of cartographers can understand it.
I know that it is just a wordpress blog... but, it dose everything that I want it to do so it is perfect for me.
Things that would be good as a tutorial if your planning on making one and sending it in...
Making see-through objects
Making objects that change color
Making the texture image
Making the world size different.

I know you can look on the wiki or map making part of the forum but I think when information is put into tutorial form, it is a hell of a lot easier to understand.

So check back on the site every now and then to see if there's anything new.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Like I had mentioned to you on IRC, it would be better if you either had the message pre-typed into the Notepad window, or if you did something such as a slideshow. It's rather annoying waiting for you to type everything out. I can read a lot faster than you're typing the messages.

I also don't think you should have the entire tutorial in the video. The text could be on your webpage, and then the video could be each section of the tutorial that requires demonstration.

I'll use the world weapons tutorial as an example:
Hello. In this tutorial, I will be demonstrating how to create a world weapon. As I have said before, naming every object on your map will help you later if you edit the map in a text editor.

I will make a basic map in BZEdit for this tutorial. You can also just use an existing map file. We will create a box object to use as a placeholder for our world weapon. Once I have created the object, and given it a name I can find, I will then save the map and open it using Notepad or another text editor. I will then modify that object and convert it into a world weapon.

(Show a video of creating the basic map, and saving it. Then open the map in notepad, and convert the 'box' object to a world weapon.)

As you can see, I changed the following:
(Display the code for the original box object)
To a world weapon definition:
(Display the code for the world weapon, with changes/additions in bold)

There are various settings you can use with World Weapons. For more information, visit the BZWiki. (link to the world weapons article on the wiki)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Yeah good Idea blast, I'll do that when I get around to making my next tutorial (flag zones).
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

yea i have to agree with blast - a shame really that he beat me to writting it. Although what you've actually done so far is really useful and clear. Found the Death Physics one really useful, I will use that in my next map.

Keep up the good work (and i hope to see many more installments in the near future).

One last suggestion - If i hadnt looked hard I wouldnt have realised that site was by you. Put your name at the top or something :D just a suggestion

BZTANK.NET ADMIN - THE PLACE TO BE!!!!