bzflagmaps.webhop.net

External websites, for and about BZFlag
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflagmaps.webhop.net

Post by Propane Tank »

It may have maps in the address, but the site isn't all about bzflag maps. It was going to be about maps, but I decided to turn it into my bzflag life. In my blog you can read about my life in bzflag, or look at maps I have made. You can also send me your map(s) and I will post them to the site. The most exciting thing for me with that site is I can have e-mail address. So if you want an address for bzflag, or a secondary, or even as a primary address, I can hook you up. You can get an address at yourname@bzflagmaps.webhop.net.
http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net
-Propane Tank
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: bzflagmaps.webhop.net

Post by allejo »

Just so you know. and a note from ur blog. Not a bright idea telling people to submit maps to you if you haven't even gotten your server up and running. ;)
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I didn't say I'm HOSTING them. I'm saying that they can submit them to the site for OTHERS to view and use and host, IF the owner of the map permits.
-Propane Tank
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Not to discourage you but i see no need for a site like this. If a map maker would like to see there map hosted they can simply post there map file here on the BZBB under the "Map Releases" section.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

allejo is right, being theres a section here called map releases. but im getting to that Propane wants a site the allows players to see cool pics of some interesting maps people submit. i see it as like a gallery of different map screenshots, with the ability to download and host them publicly, or simply as a localhost.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

littlelep wrote:allejo is right, being theres a section here called map releases. but im getting to that Propane wants a site the allows players to see cool pics of some interesting maps people submit. i see it as like a gallery of different map screenshots, with the ability to download and host them publicly, or simply as a localhost.
And why can't people do that here on the forum?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

There is some confusion I need to clarify, I guess. For one, users can absolutly upload there maps to the forums, no problem. But I'm saying that if people want to upload it to my site too, or instead of the forums, they most certainly can. I'm not stoping them from doing either. If you have any other questions, please either pm me them or e-mail me them to propanetank@bzflagmaps.webhop.net
-Propane Tank
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Propane Tank wrote:There is some confusion I need to clarify, I guess. For one, users can absolutly upload there maps to the forums, no problem. But I'm saying that if people want to upload it to my site too, or instead of the forums, they most certainly can. I'm not stoping them from doing either. If you have any other questions, please either pm me them or e-mail me them to <email address removed>
Well sure they COULD... they can do anything they like, but "why would they?" is the question that is being asked. Lets do this hypothetically (because I don't make maps). I have a map and want to post it for others to see, find, and use. I am looking for a site to do that and have found 2 options:

a) a site that gets thousands of hits a day by an established community

or

b) a site that rarely if ever gets visited

You be the judge. To make it worth posting them somewhere else there needs to be some value added. Something that a person would want that they can't get here and at this point, there really is nothing you are adding and actually it would get much less exposure. I applaud your enthusiasm, but not your "business" model.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

joevano wrote:a) a site that gets thousands of hits a day by an established community
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thousands of hits a day. You just crack me up! lol! :lol-old:
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Propane Tank wrote:
joevano wrote:a) a site that gets thousands of hits a day by an established community
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thousands of hits a day. You just crack me up! lol! :lol-old:
Just the main BZFlag.org site alone gets around 500 hits a day, with 700 to 1000 page views a day. And for example, on October 12th, there was 1354 visits and 2466 page views. So it's best you don't speak of things you know nothing about.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

blast wrote:
littlelep wrote:allejo is right, being theres a section here called map releases. but im getting to that Propane wants a site the allows players to see cool pics of some interesting maps people submit. i see it as like a gallery of different map screenshots, with the ability to download and host them publicly, or simply as a localhost.
And why can't people do that here on the forum?
Because the map release section is not a screenshot gallery
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

littlelep wrote:
blast wrote:And why can't people do that here on the forum?
Because the map release section is not a screenshot gallery
Blast's reference to "here" was in reference to the forums as a whole, not the "Map Making" forum in particular. Screenshots are welcome and often encouraged.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Main thing the forum don't do is show a thumbnail of the images - at least how we currently have it configured.

EDIT: Tried out an option and thumbnail generation does work. But I'm going to leave it turned off for now.

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

My website, http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net, can now be accessed at two other web address. Propanetank.webhop.net and propanetank.yolasite.com. The host domain is still bzflagmaps.webhop.net, so if you use one of the other two, it'll just redirect you to the host url. I have also edited the map submissions page. When you submit a map, it takes you through the steps to properly licenses the map. What I will do is when someone submits their map, I will go to http://creativecommons.org and get the name of the license to give the map that the owner wants. If you have questions, e-mail me them to propanetank@bzflagmaps.webhop.net.
-Propane Tank