BZEnviorments

External websites, for and about BZFlag
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZEnviorments

Post by hutty »

I started the site recently, (from code :D)

right now It has no domain name, and has some freewebs junk stuck on it because I have a free account.

the purpose of this site is to group and provide objects to aid map developers in making their maps more interesting. The site will include, environment kits (groups of objects related to a certain theme (such as a desert)), individual objects that work with a theme as well as alone, and map templates that will speed up simple processes (such as adding team basses).

currently all it has are a couple trees, but the site will grow.

please not that I am also using this to explore how prettyful I can make web-pages that still load fast on slow connections, so if every page has a different theme, that is why.

If anyone has objects they would like to add, just put them in the comments of this post.

this site is currently at http://www.huttymuncher.webs.com/webdy45/index.html

please leave comments
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
blast
General
General

Re: BZEnviorments

Post by blast »

Is it supposed to have anything useful on it?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

If you have the source and didn't use the webs.com website builder I suggest using www.000webhost.com
its free hosting with no ads..

...BZFlag Forever.
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

wow, thanks.

the site will be moved to www.bzenv.site50.net soon.
but the transfer will take some time

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

huttymuncher wrote:wow, thanks.

the site will be moved to http://www.bzenv.site50.net soon.
but the transfer will take some time
Yeah, np man..

Oh and I forgot to mention, if you don't want your visitors to have to type in "bzenv.site50.net" when they visit you can go to http://www.dot.tk and rename it to "bzenv.tk" for free

...BZFlag Forever.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I suggest yola.com
It's free has an exallent site builder, 1GB of webspace for files, and NO ADS! all for free, u can create up to five sites too. I use yola for my http://PropaneTank.webhop.net website. (aka bzflagmaps.webhop.net)
Also i used dyndns for the domain name. [http://dyndns.com]
-Propane Tank
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

Thanks propane, but I dopn't like to use site builders ;D (same reason all my maps are done from code)

now available at http://bzenv.tk

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Oh, well I guess I'm the complete opposite of you. If I get the chance to use a site builder, I take it. The main reason is because I don't really know all that much of HTML and I don't really know CSS at all. The second reason is because to make your own pages you kinda need your own server, there are few companies that allow you to upload HTML, JSP, or PHP pages. Mainly because they want you to use their site builder.
-Propane Tank
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

You can buy domains for cheap as chips. If you're really serious about making this a quality website, it will gain you a lot more credibility.
No offense, I think you need to work on your graphic design skills a little bit.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Propane Tank wrote:there are few companies that allow you to upload HTML, JSP, or PHP pages. Mainly because they want you to use their site builder.
Wow, that's so wrong. There are hundreds of free hosts that allow you to upload raw files.

http://www.free-webhosts.com/power-search.php

Note that one problem with some free hosts is that they go away after a while, or quality is crap. I used to hop from host to host. I ended up getting sick of having to switch URLs constantly, so I got a real domain and got the "Tiny" hosting plan from A Small Orange. Not a whole lot of space, but it worked well enough for me and it's only $25 per year. :) (well, plus $10 for a domain name...)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

the reason why I can't get a domain name, is I have no way of purchasing things over the internet.

no creditcard
no paypal
and my parents won't buy such things for me.

meaning I can't buy anything off of the internet, even if it only costs one cent. If I could buy stuff, I probably would have a whole stack of bzflag tee shirts by now.

but bzenv.tk is good and free.

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

huttymuncher wrote:the reason why I can't get a domain name, is I have no way of purchasing things over the internet.
A bit OT, but surely you're old enough to get a debit card? Go down to the bank and set yourself up a bank account with a debit card. It's very useful, I got my first bank account when I was 13. I'm sure you'll end up needing one sooner or later, if you ever get a part-time job or something. The great thing about a debit card, unlike a credit card, is that you can't spend more than you have in your account.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

And adding onto what Spazzy McGee said, you can also link your debit card with a PayPal account so you can pay for thing online. One downside is that it takes time for money transfers to clear into your PayPal account, but transfers from PayPal to who you're buying from is instant, and safe.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

hmm, maybe i should look into this, I do have a part-time job (Mc Donalds :D), but I haven't gotten my first pay check yet (I started the job recently)

:!: also the site is
50% transfered
1% complete

:?: also would there be a problem with putting objects from the prefabs section of the forum on the site as long as i give the author credit, and follow the license's rules!

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Regarding the prefabs posted here - that shouldn't be a problem.

Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

huttymuncher wrote: :?: also would there be a problem with putting objects from the prefabs section of the forum on the site as long as i give the author credit, and follow the license's rules!
Just check the license of the prefabs... but in my eyes it doesnt make sense to post prefabs under private license :P
so as blast said, it shouldn't be a problem - but make sure you don't get in conflict with licensing stuff.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

He said "and follow the license's rules". ;)

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

good

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

update

90% transfered
2% complete

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

huttymuncher wrote:update

90% transfered
2% complete
Just tell us when you are done... in fact it is better to wait until you are finished to tell us at all. Many projects of this nature never get finished, but generally they are announced here first and then die.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

I was originally going to anounce it when it was done, but other people were anounceing that tey were starting projects, so I figured that I might as well anounce mine too.

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yeah, everyone has enthusiasm at the beginning and when they think their idea is great. They want to tell everyone about it right away and that is a mistake. Finishing the project, after running into the difficulties and problems that always occur, is the real thing to share. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and they die easily even with the best of intentions. We will be happy to celebrate when your project is finished, everyone would be better off not to know about the failures. Look through these forums and you will find many people announcing websites that they are building related to BZFlag, and you can probably count on one hand those that have followed through to completion! I wish you good luck on your site and hope that you too are not one of the sites that disappears. I look forward to your announcement when you are finished, but I don't think we benefit from constant updates.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

It's really hard to sustain a BZFlag website, simply because the user base is not big enough. There have been a sites stories that I can think of, that started off great - even ran for a year or two - before falling into disrepair. Pretty much everything, bar the league sites.

DW's BZW forum springs to mind, that was great - but it eventually died.
The MDG was great too. We kept that going through several incarnations. It eventually died.
And that's just the ones that made it to fruition. There have been countless little sites that either never made it past a couple of images on a free host service.

I wish you the best of luck, though.