BZFlag on Discord

External websites, for and about BZFlag
Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag on Discord

Post by Kitsune »

While not exactly a fansite, it is an external website and now, bzflag is up on it as well!

Discord, on short, is a place where gamers (and others) can communicate through voice and text chat. Before proceeding, I would like to note that bzflag already has an IRC channel #bzflag over at the FreeNode network. Quite some people already idle in it, so it is something to check out.

But to maximize the efficiency over at the IRC, one has to set up a Bouncer (BNC), to get the backlog of activity upon a new visit. Next to that, one also has to get a client of their preference as many default ones tend to not be that attractive. But then again, this is all subjective. The point is that the majority of communities around the internet tend to be transferring from the IRC onto either Skype, Discord, or some other place. Most have it optional, so I would like you to see it that way as well; after all, the more the merrier, right?

Which place you choose is entirely up to you, of course. But I would appreciate it if you could jump in the Discord group on every so. If nothing else, to say "Hi" and check on any potential updates.

Not to delay it any further, follow this link to access the invitation to the group: https://discord.gg/sch8x

Once you're in, that's it. At the time of writing this, I'm considering of putting a jolly bot in so the place won't be that gloomy, but I'll see if there will be a need in the first place (:
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag on Discord

Post by blast »

Link doesn't work, but I don't see the point either. Our IRC is logged at http://infobot.rikers.org/%23bzflag/ , so you certainly don't need a bouncer to keep up with the (few) discussions that happen there. And I don't run a bouncer. I just keep a copy of irssi running inside of a screen session on a Linux server and SSH in to access it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag on Discord

Post by Kitsune »

It would appear that I have unintentionally posted a time-limited invitation link; seems like the permanent one isn't the default one when selecting them.

That said, I do agree with what you have said; it would be unreasonable to split a dead community into even more sub-communities. If one universal place generates little to no activity, it makes no sense to make multiple of them.