new website

External websites, for and about BZFlag
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

new website

Post by Supertanker »

I have a new website dedicated to BZFlag maps. if anyone would like me to post one of their maps, please contact me at programkid13@yahoo.com. there is only one map in there! it is the one i made. my nick is super tanker, but i wanted a different one for each forum. The website itself is at http://www.bzmap.i8.com
Last edited by Supertanker on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

moved to fansites.
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

The link, please.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Oh, right

Post by Supertanker »

To post, email me at programkid13@yahoo.com. Use the subject "postmap" without the quotes. the website itself is at http://www.bzmap.i8.com. it is still, erm, under construction, i only have one map i made and a few map packs.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PHPwebsite

Post by RPG »

I'm in the middle of writing a PHP program called PHPwebsite, which will allow you to create and manage an entire website without ever editing html*. It includes modules like a guestbook, blog, page management system, TODO list, random quote, fansites, search, poll, stats, and a theme switching system. However, this is a big thing and I started in mid-January. I probably won't be done until the end of April. I'll post updates in the TODO list on my website on it's progress. My site is always running the most up-to-date development version. I will be glad to give anyone the program so far if you want to do anything with it.

Otherwise, when it comes out, it will allow you to have a great site with tons of features, even if you're a computer expert or a web newbie!

*you will have to edit HTML if you wish to put HTML in your pages. Otherwise, no HTML editing!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Screenshots:

Menu and gen. config

Blog

Sidebar configuration

Random Quotes

more coming soon...
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Okay, i know nothing

Post by Supertanker »

I know nothing about php, but i dont need to edit HTML either. i have a program, NVU, that is a visual editor, and it rockz!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Oh. I don't like visual editors because they most always add more junk and use lengthier tags then you should have to use. I do all my coding in hand, because it's cleaner and I can't stand clutter/slow scripts.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need pics!

Post by Supertanker »

If anyone wants to have their picture of the day or maps put on my website, write to me at programkid13@yahoo.com include the pic or map in the email as an attachment. Also, if you want a description, include one as a txt file.
King Jah
Private
Private

Post by King Jah »

I question, your editor only edits sites right? I need to know how to host one!
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

Well, what i did was type in "free web hosting" on my serch engine. the one i use is 50megs.com. Anyways, ojnce you make ur homepage, name it index.html, and upload it using the file manager that is at 50 megs. youi hav to sigh up though. Bad parts about free hosting: THey usualy make you do stuf like yournamewebpagehere.50megs.com. and second, they usualy at the very least have an ad banner across the top or bottom,
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

The editor I'm making runs on PHP, so you'd probably have to pay for web hosting to host it, unless you can find a free web service that allows PHP. That's rare. If you have the extra equipment you could run a web server on a spare computer, but that's just plain confusing :x
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll....

Post by Supertanker »

Well, i found one that lets me have my own forum, but it is pre-made. And im looking for moderators right now.... (wink wink, nudge nudge)
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

RPG wrote:Oh. I don't like visual editors because they most always add more junk and use lengthier tags then you should have to use. I do all my coding in hand, because it's cleaner and I can't stand clutter/slow scripts.
Visual Editors seem to be the only viable method for being creative for me. As for the "junk" output, I agree, it is junky. That's why I run my visual editor output (NetObjects Fusion, et al is pretty bloated) through an HTML filter that removes all those redundant tags and silly comment tags.

If I did HTML by hand, which I've done for smaller projects, I wouldn't attempt to get creative, just functional.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

wow...101 people have cared enough to visit my map site.

The visual editor i use is freeware, at www.nvu.com (i think)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

eew a visual editor...

Clean code only comes from hand-coding.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

shadup...din't u see what dervish wrote?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

no... must have missed that.
I'm not that creative anyways, I get all my website templates from other people :shock: .
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

By the way... there will be some maps by who- soon...
Heavy Metal
Private
Private

Re: PHPwebsite

Post by Heavy Metal »

RPG wrote:I'm in the middle of writing a PHP program called PHPwebsite, which will allow you to create and manage an entire website without ever editing html
Why not just use one already available like Dragonfly CMS and save your free time for playing BZ Flag? :wink:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

...because http://www.garrettsites.net is already running on a stable copy of the software.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Is this phpwebsite the same one here: http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu ?

If so, I use this for most of my websites. I enjoy it very much.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

SilverFox wrote:Is this phpwebsite the same one here: http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu ?

If so, I use this for most of my websites. I enjoy it very much.
No, it's not. Here goes the story:

In late February 2005, I had a website, www.garrettsites.net , running off of HTML. Every page was it's own HTML file, and it was a horrifying thought of updating it. So, I started searching for a CMS that would allow me to consolidate everything. However, no CMS was to be found. All the ones I tried out weren't relevant to the type of website I had.

So, I decided to write my own.

Bit by bit, I started transforming parts of my static HTML website to PHP. I had a guestbook that I had to add stuff to manually, so I just PHP-inized that. For the random quote side box, I used to also have to update it manually, so I just wrote it in PHP. It was great, because I already had a template to work with, all I did was add to it.

Eventually, no HTML files were left in existence. Everything was replaced with PHP. I decided to call my little creation "phpWebSite", because it fit the application.

Then, I searched for "phpWebSite" on Google to see if my creation had gotten any publicity, and wham-mo, I see the fake phpWebSite site. Trying to share names with a project as big as both phpWebSite's were, everything just fell apart. I lost the battle. I couldn't use phpWebSite anymore. Needless to say, I now call it "phpSiteManager", and it's still the backend of www.garrettsites.net . I constatnly add to it, and maybe, just maybe, i'll release it again.