BZExcess - Open alpha of map uploading

External websites, for and about BZFlag
blast
General
General

BZExcess - Open alpha of map uploading

Post by blast »

I currently have an open alpha running for my map posting section of BZExcess. Please try it out and report any issues or strange behavior here. Also feel free to make suggestions for how I can improve it.

The website uses your forum login through the weblogin page hosted on the bzflag list server. Your password is never passed to my site. Only your username, forum user id, and a one-time token used for validation is passed to my server. Once you are logged in on my site, you will see an "Upload Map" link on the BZMaps page.

Planned tasks so far:
  • Add screenshot uploading abilities
  • Page support
  • Approval system
  • Ability to edit after uploading
Known issues so far:
  • Only shows most recent 15 maps (Needs page support)
Note: The site requires a browser that isn't Internet Explorer.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I have some PHP-code that renders the radar-view of a bzw-file. I believe it only works with 1.10.X-maps but most maps are still that format anyways. You could include it for a preview.
PM me if you are interested.

I think the mapatorium was a nice example of what a map-site should have. In my opinion it should include a rating, screenshots, people should be able to add comments (maybe thats not too important). Maybe the layout or at least the colors should look similar to bzflag.org or the forum.

All in all its good to see a maps-page is rising... I always thought the one and only page about maps was missing... digging through the forums is a bit annoying sometimes. :)

If you need any graphics: -> PM.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Saturos wrote:I have some PHP-code that renders the radar-view of a bzw-file. I believe it only works with 1.10.X-maps but most maps are still that format anyways. You could include it for a preview.
I have PHP code that does that as well. It's the bzthumb thing was was posted on here quite a while back. Even shows where world weapons are located. :) I probably won't do this, as I'll allow users to upload compressed archives.
Saturos wrote:I think the mapatorium was a nice example of what a map-site should have. In my opinion it should include a rating, screenshots, people should be able to add comments (maybe thats not too important). Maybe the layout or at least the colors should look similar to bzflag.org or the forum.
Rating system is already part way into the code. Just have to finish that.
Saturos wrote:All in all its good to see a maps-page is rising... I always thought the one and only page about maps was missing... digging through the forums is a bit annoying sometimes. :)

If you need any graphics: -> PM.
And maps are just the first step. I also want to have plugins and general BZFlag help pages.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

Nice site!

To Mapatorium:

You can download the code of Mapatorium here in forums, you msut search a little :D
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

blast wrote:
Saturos wrote:I have some PHP-code that renders the radar-view of a bzw-file. I believe it only works with 1.10.X-maps but most maps are still that format anyways. You could include it for a preview.
I have PHP code that does that as well. It's the bzthumb thing was was posted on here quite a while back. Even shows where world weapons are located. :) I probably won't do this, as I'll allow users to upload compressed archives.
Oh, okay. The code I have was written by TRAC some time ago... but yours seems to be better if it shows worldweapons. :)
I see the point with archives... maybe screenshots are the better way to preview a map.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I temporarily took the upload part down until I can work on the code some more. I have discovered quite a few things I need to improve by just a couple people testing it.