Jefenry's CTF Map

User made maps to use on servers.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jefenry's CTF Map

Post by Jefenry »

This is a CTF map I've been working on for a few weeks. There are no major problems that I know of, so I'm calling it done. Although I'll probably always be able to find something worth changing.

Flags- GM, ST, L, CL, SE, SB, SW, BU, PZ, WG

More about the map-- http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10492
Attachments
JefenrysCTF.bzw
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
bzfi0025.png
Overhead
(754.2 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
bzfi0026.png
Back of Base
(829.15 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
bzfi0028.png
Front of Base
(681.52 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
halo3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by halo3 »

great job on this map i realy like them gm towers.
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_daddy2 »

ya this look like the next boxy wars!!

great job :)
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

big_daddy2 wrote:ya this look like the next boxy wars!!

great job :)
Heh, I don't know about that. My map was influenced mostly by DW's Castle Warfare.
Actually, I tried to fix things that I didn't like about DW's map. Such as how hard is is to get around in his Castles, and how I always tend to get stuck in his GM towers. After I got my map to solve those problems, I just added stuff in the middle to try and get good rico shots.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I just attempted to run this map. When I start up the server, I get this:
Unable to position flags on this world.
Then, when I join and spawn, I get stuck on the base. I have to self destruct. Then when I jump on the base, I get stuck again. So it seems you need to do a little testing at this point yet. Also, create a unique name for the map. It seems like an interesting layout, but just has a few bugs yet.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

blast wrote:Then, when I join and spawn, I get stuck on the base. I have to self destruct. Then when I jump on the base, I get stuck again. So it seems you need to do a little testing at this point yet. Also, create a unique name for the map. It seems like an interesting layout, but just has a few bugs yet.

Thats odd. In BZFlag I go to Join Game, Start Server, Pick out my map, and then Start, and I've never had any of the problems you've described. I've also run it with bots, and they didn't seem to get stuck or anything either. All the flags are where I want them, and they work. I've done plenty of testing and thought the map was about as good as I could make it. This is my first map, and I really don't have a clue what could be causing the problems or how to fix it. :?
I just tried the map file from off my first post, and it seems to work fine, so I guess it's not a problem with the file.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

blast wrote:I just attempted to run this map. When I start up the server, I get this:
Then, when I join and spawn, I get stuck on the base. I have to self destruct. Then when I jump on the base, I get stuck again. So it seems you need to do a little testing at this point yet. Also, create a unique name for the map. It seems like an interesting layout, but just has a few bugs yet.
Yeah, I got the cannot position flags messages, too. I also got stuck on the base at first, but I didn't get stuck when I jumped on it again, so I don't know what would be causing it.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I must say, Jefenry's map is quite good. And yeah, it does feel just a little like good old Boxy.
R3laX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by R3laX »

blast wrote:I just attempted to run this map. When I start up the server, I get this:
Then, when I join and spawn, I get stuck on the base. I have to self destruct. Then when I jump on the base, I get stuck again.

You can play with that..

Stuck on the base :/ you got to fix that.
OG
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

Well, it seems like it must be a problem with me since other people are having the problem. The only thing I can think of is that there is a clear meshbox in front of the CTF pad thats drive through, but is supposed to prevent spawn camping by people with lasers from the the far base. Could you be spawning half in that so you can't move?
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

My map was influenced mostly by DW's Castle Warfare.
I thought it looked vaguely familiar. Yours look as if it gets the concept and playability that I was originally shooting for when I made my Castle Warfare map. Really, that map was just messing around on a bored day and if I had wanted to I could have made it far better. Glad to see you enhancing it. :) But, I see, surprisingly, people seem to enjoy playing Castle Warfare somewhat frequently on the test server.

Nice job.

DW
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

I think I fixed the problem of being stuck on the base. I finally managed to get the problem to happen to me on a LAN game, and after changing the base thickness from .1 to 1 unit it hasn't happened since.
As for the flag locations, I don't know what to do to fix that. From R3laX's screenshots, it says I can get rid of the message by adding '-a 50 38' to the configuration. I'm not using the config file or atleast I don't think I am. So would putting it into the world options do the same thing?
I'm pretty unimaginative when it comes to titles for things, so can anyone suggest something?
Thanks for all the comments, and hopefully the spawn problem is fixed.
ducatiwannabe wrote: But, I see, surprisingly, people seem to enjoy playing Castle Warfare somewhat frequently on the test server
Ya, it is pretty fun when there are a bunch of people in there. I really like the fast paced action and how small the map is.