Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

A Distraction's "Duck or Die"

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Name: Duck or Die
Native Style: FFA
Time to Create: Approximately 2.5 Days
Known Bugs: 36 world weapon lasers are set to fire every 30 seconds, however, for some reason, about 1/5 of them do not fire.
Author Comments: The object of the game is that of a simple FFA, played on a relatively open map. However, there is a twist: Every 30 seconds, the box in the center will have many lasers shoot out of it in many directions. There are eight depressions in the ground that allow players to escape the world weapon. There will be ten warning Guided missile shots fired into the air five seconds prior to the world weapon attack. Having a need to escape the world weapon may disrupt the natural cycle of killing in the FFA. Do not be alarmed by screen shot bzfi0063. The map is indeed completely flat. I chose to work with an 8x8 array of boxs for the most flexibility when designing the map.

As always, I welcome constructive criticism.

This map is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.

Update: Attatched is the latest revision of the map in this post and near the bottom. All problems with the world weapon have been fixed. As of now, The number of world weapons has been reduced from 72 to 9. I removed them because I thought things were getting a little choppy. Inverted pyramids have been added to the roof of each bunker. Textures have been added to everything. Walls have been added to the outside. The time delay for the world weapon has been increased from 30 to 45.
Attachments
DuckOrDie.bzw
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
bzfi0462.png
(995.66 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
bzfi0463.png
(600.49 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Mon May 26, 2008 3:49 am, edited 13 times in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Cool concept. Hosted anywhere?
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I think that this is a great idea. It would probably be better suited to be some sort of a ctf map, though, because with ffa you can just hide out in the "bunkers" and shoot anyone who enters them. Just a suggestion.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Perhaps yet another world weapon that nukes the pits from time to time? Unless of course, you're hiding from the lasers.

As for camping, it doesn't matter if it's ffa or ctf. That's what can happen in either style.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

In ctf though, you also have to worry about having your flag capped, which would blow any camper out of the water. The flag carrier would just have to hide in an empty bunker before the lasers strike. The campers would then have to leave their spots to chase the flag carrier down.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

awesome idea Dis! I do agree about the camping. mite wnat to put a SW in the bunkers that nukes every other 30 seconds.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

It isn't hosted anywhere. I remember considering putting a world weapon in each depression, but I passed over this idea quickley without much thought. The map inherently has some anti-camping measures (ex. High gravity, high jump velocity. There is also a fear of ricocheting bullets in the bunkers. Perhaps I will try putting a world weapon in the bunkers just for kicks. Also, the pyramids covering the bunkers are perchable, but I'm thinking I will make them drive-through. I am looking for a hoster as of yet. If someone would like to host it I would like credit for making the map.

BTW- The screen shots aren't of the most recent version of the map. I am updating those now.
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

OUTDATED:

Screen shots and map file:

As you can see in screen shot 73, there are a number of lasers that don't fire. I don't know how to fix this bug as I have gone over the map file time and again and I have all angles addressed in my array of world weapons. This is a really big problem as it creates a blind spot anywhere northwest of the center pillar. If anyone can help me on this I would be very appreciative.

Update: Attatched in this post is the old version of the map. There are still lasers firing out of the center, and the four corners every 30 seconds. There are no textures, outer walls, or inverted pyramids above the bunkers. For all you nostalgic people out there.
Attachments
bzfi0075.png
(339.63 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
DuckOrDie.bzw
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
bzfi0069.png
(297.54 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Don't fire them all at once. Fire them one or two at a time, and have them circle around or something. There's some sort of limit it's reaching when you fire them all at once.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I was just on it and I found there wasnt enough time between the first GM warning to the first bunch of lasers for me to be able to reach the bunkers :? Is there anyway you can increase that?

Besides that it was cool! :)
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Grace F wrote:I was just on it and I found there wasnt enough time between the first GM warning to the first bunch of lasers for me to be able to reach the bunkers :? Is there anyway you can increase that?

Besides that it was cool! :)
I really don't want to mess with the world weapon timing, as it is a fine tuned area in my map and will take some time to change: I have the entire timer based off of a 30 second interval time frame. Perhaps as a quazi-fix to your problem, I could increase the tank speed. I was planning on doing that anyway.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Yea I might try that.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

I recently noticed that "A Distraction's Duck or Die" is being hosted at bzflag.norang.ca:5190. However, it is not playing the updated version. Since I don't know who put it up I don't know who to talk to about this. OO means death...
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

A Distraction wrote:I recently noticed that "A Distraction's Duck or Die" is being hosted at bzflag.norang.ca:5190. However, it is not playing the updated version. Since I don't know who put it up I don't know who to talk to about this. OO means death...
PM: tanner, DW, or THummper they do the norang hosting.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It is infact, Tanner, that should be contacted in this particular instance.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Tanner is most likely busy, but I shall try to fix this when I reach home, though that won't be for another seven hours. :) Work and school and all that.

But I'll work on it if it isn't fixed when I get home. Sry bout that.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Updated! 8) enjoy...
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Sorry to be late on this, but I already contacted Tanner. He made some changes to the map file in the map variables: _gmTurnAngle, disallowed flags, etc. But there are still some problems.

Even after adding:

Code: Select all

-f OO
-f BU
to the map file options, OO and BU still exist on the map. These are in concordance with

Code: Select all

+f good{2}
+f bad{1}
Is there something wrong here?

ducatiwannabe, if you updated the map on your own from the map file here, then it may not have some of the changes that Tanner made, but don't worry about it too much as they were relatively minor.

The most updated version of "A Distraction's Duck or Die" is running at bzflag3.norang.ca:5181.
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Ducatiwannabe copied over my changes.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Righto, I kept everything, really, but I ended up having to do +f GM{2}, +f SW{2}, and etc. with every flag. For some reason -f OO doesn't work when you have +f good{2}. Anyway, no flag probs, I kept the changes Tanner did. It should work great. If not tell me what to change and I'll gladly update it.

very nice map. Laser doesn't always cover the top, but, it works pretty well. :)
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

The Ship You Thought Had Set Sail

What's that? That's not the Duck or Die I remember! As many of you know, the release version of my very popular "Duck or Die" map has been losing steam over the last year, so I decieded to give it a revamp that will juice it to go a little farther. Here's the rundown of the changes:

-Number of world weapons has been reduced from 72 to 9.
-Walls have been added to the outside to compensate for world weapon loss.
-Time delay for world weapons has been increased from 30 to 45 seconds.
-Inverted pyramids have been added above the bunkers for ricochets against campers.
-Textures have been added to everything.

So nowadays, when you get tired of all these boring old CTF maps, you can always find a nice exciting game at Duck or Die. Tell all your friends.

I will update the screenshots and the map file in the original post as well as this one. Enjoy!

License information is contained in the first post of this thread.
Attachments
DuckOrDie.bzw
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
bzfi0462.png
(995.66 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
bzfi0463.png
(600.49 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I like the new textures a lot, good work!
I've taken down the old version and uploaded the new one.
It can be found at bzflag3.norang.ca:5181