Second Map: The Borg Cube

User made maps to use on servers.
Purple Panzer, The
Private First Class
Private First Class

Second Map: The Borg Cube

Post by Purple Panzer, The »

In this, you start on the ground, and about all you can do there is go through a teleporter which will put you inside a
"Borg Cube" floating above the world (along with a few starships).

It's really an exercise in 3D play and thinking. When driving, you
can go up or down in the cube almost as easily as forwards or backwards (the floor levels have lots of big holes).

It's almost not worth looking at the map with BZEdit, as so much of it is inside the cube, and in a complicated arrangement. You probably will best understand it by playing it.

I think performance might be an issue, not so much due to the
number of blocks and pyramids, but because so many of them lie in the field of view: when you're inside the cube, a good chunk of the cube has to be rendered or hidden. This is quite different from a flat map, in which relatively few objects are in the field of view at one time.

You can climb to the top of the cube, and the view is interesting. Sometimes the horizon graphics fail in interesting ways; the effect is remarkably like what I recall seeing in Silicon Graphics flight simulators when I tried to get into low earth orbit.

Like my first map, I haven't been able to host this on a server visible to the outside world; I'd love it if someone would. Let me know if you do!
Bryan Bentz, a.k.a. "The Purple Panzer"
Attachments
borgmap.zip
(21.35 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

cool.

(doesnt need much more explaining)
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
skater3000blink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Borg Cube

Post by skater3000blink »

Hey this map is very cool, but very laggy. was going slow in my bzedit when I viewed it and when i played in it but thumbs up 10 out of 10.
skater3000blink