Castles in the Sky

User made maps to use on servers.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Castles in the Sky

Post by CUPCAKE »

My third map already...
I had this idea just yesterday, but I had no idea that it would come together so quickly. The idea was to make physics drivers on the ground and have them to to castles up in the air. I made up the map in one day, using BZEdit to make the castles and typed up the rest. This map has physics drivers, bunkers, barriers, and other things that I never thought that I'd be able to use. Also, it has a prevention against jumping straight up to the base.
The map is a two team CTF, red vs. green, and the options are in the .bzw file.
Attachments
Castles in the Sky.bzw
Better map file, with larger spawn zones and only one platform per castle.
(20.11 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Castles in the Sky scrn3.png
Better screenshot of a castle.
(186.61 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Castles in the Sky scrn2.png
Better screenshot of a castle and a bunker.
(121.65 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Castles in the Sky scrn1.png
Better screenshot showing below and the physics drivers.
(187.97 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by CUPCAKE on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I like the general arrangement of objects for the castle. My only reserve in that regard is that the interior base section of the castles are a little cramped and it's a little hard to move around in there. Also, the map itself seems a little open. I don't think too many people are going to accidentally fall to the ground below, mostly because you made the castles' surrounding areas so spacious. But if one or more people fall down there, you should probably have some more obstacles, or else there will be many campers down there and it will get a little boring. I also think there should be more ways to travel between the castles.

Is this meant to be a laser sniping map, because that might not be a bad idea.

I like the idea, but I think you could run with it if you took a little more time to add some more stuff to it.

Edit: I like what you've done with the bottom and the one way teleporters. However, you might not get much use out of those bunkers as there is not much incentive to do anything but a frontal assault in the center of the castle area. Maybe you could put in another bunker on the lower level of the castle, right in the center. Keep up the good work. Might want to update the screen shots.
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Well, theres a barrier for the lower levels, but up top laser sniping would be possible. So I guess that yes, it would.
I don't really know why I made it so cramped, but I kind of like it that way. The only thing that I really want now is a one way teleporter so that I can shoot through the bunker only one way... the only problem is that I can't exactly add teleporters through typing it, because I not really sure how.

Also, I will get to adding some things to the bottom. I was think of it, but I realized that I just didn't get around to it.

EDIT: I've updated the file, with things on the ground.

EDIT2: I've added the one way teleporters (yay!)
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Distraction: I like your idea for putting a bunker below. In fact, I think below the castle would be best.

dfft: I have no idea what you are saying. So far I have no second way of travel planned.

EDIT: I've updated all of the attachments.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I like the idea, but the inside of the castle is too cramped and there are too many places for camping. Its way too hard to get to the platforms inside the castle as well as the base, even in slow tank mode. I would suggest that you make the castle wider and the platforms inside it farther apart. As for the second way of travel, you might want to put in some wings flags, which would also help you to get around the inside of the castle.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Well, I made a second way of travel and added it. It is a bit different than your suggetion, though. However, it makes the bunkers beside the castle useful.

As for making the castle smaller, I don't think I can do that. I wouldn't be able to type it up... but I'll try my best.

EDIT: the castle outside walls are now thinner, and the platforms are farther away from each other. There is a lot more space in there now.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Cupcake, one other idea is to get your display settings off of "low", as made apparent in your screenies. In the client, go to options, display settings, display quality, and try setting that to high or experimental. It makes things look a lot better.
bremac
Private
Private

Post by bremac »

that exploding tank wrote:Cupcake, one other idea is to get your display settings off of "low", as made apparent in your screenies. In the client, go to options, display settings, display quality, and try setting that to high or experimental. It makes things look a lot better.
He can't: His graphics card can barely get a decent framerate at low, and can't handle most features over the midrange. High or experimental are certainly beyond his poor i810.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Hes right. I can't really adjust the setting very much...

I just fixed the map file because the thin air was just a bit too high- it didn't kill you every time...
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

You don't need a decent FPS to take a screenshot.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
bremac
Private
Private

Post by bremac »

Hannibal wrote:You don't need a decent FPS to take a screenshot.
bremac wrote:... and can't handle most features over the midrange.
As I said, he can't. FPS is irrelevant when you're running an i810 series, which can't even render several of the effects, or texture decently sized maps.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Edited out the weird driving on air and flags floating in the air thing (I guess thats what you get for making large invisible boxes)
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Okay then, I've fixed up the map so that safe spawn doesn't kill you if theres someone in your base (larger spawn zones), and I also took off the lower platform because no one was really using it when flight hosted it for me.

Theres now better screenshots, too! I somehow managed to get my computer to work well enough to get decent pictures.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Sorry for the triple post...

This map is now being run at bzflag3.norang.ca:5177 , thanks to Thumper (Thanks again Thumper).