Missile Wars Remixed! (release version)

User made maps to use on servers.
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Missile Wars Remixed! (release version)

Post by gnu-sense »

I posted an earlier version of this about a month ago as work in progress. Well it's finally ready for playing, I think. There are doubtless things about it that could be better, so if anyone hosts it, plays it or whatever, I would be happy to hear comments.

Notes: 4 team CTF, inspired by DW's Missile Wars, lots of transparency, no textures, physics, all hand coded. I sure wish zones and links could be grouped, it would have made things easier. To be fully playable, it should be configured with shot limits on geno and other strong flags. GPL License.

gnu-sense

(updated: bzw file has more/better options)
(updated: cut total flags by almost half)
Attachments
mw-remix.t.bzw
Missile Wars Remixed! (update x2)
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
bzfi0030.png
Tower with a view
(477.51 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by gnu-sense on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Wow that looks really cool! Futuristic :)
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

You should have -fb on the options so that the flags go where you want them to go.

Also, when you go under the little part with BU, then drop it halfway through, you get stuck.

Also, the genocide never spawns into the map because you have:

Code: Select all

name center_g
    position 0 0 1
    size 35 35 0

rotation 0
    flag G
end
While you have no +f G{1}, this means it won't be created, which makes this zone useless. Just change flag G to zoneflag G like all your other zones are.

Also, 20 TH flags?! I think that's too many, I reduced it down to 10 and found it much easier to find genocide. I don't mean you want to try to prevent them from finding it, but since this is still Missile Wars, they expect genocide when they go to the center, right?

I dunno, with the flags all in zones, it's kinda hard to just spawn, get a flag and go, you know? The Missile Wars I know had random flags scattered along with the zoned flags.

The middle seems a little crowded in flags. 32 OOs seems a little too much. I think around 12 of those at max is good enough. And also, I would add some flags in between the towers too, like older Missile Wars.

So, I guess I'm trying to think it's better if you keep some form of the older Missile Wars, and I might be wrong. Maybe this Missile Wars remix was meant to have these flags. I dunno, here It just feels a little empty flag-wise.

Hope to see improvements on this map :)
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

That is a very nice looking map, gnu-sense. Good work!
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZW File updated

Post by gnu-sense »

Thx, Grace, sigonasr2, and Tangent for comments. There were some settings in the .conf file that the proper flag mix depended on. In general, the division of labor of the configuration files confuses me terribly, but I have the same problem with Apache.

I took the suggestions about fewer TH flags and the like. I'm not sure what to do about the BU (this is a more general problem about Bu under objects, and if I raise the slot ceiling, then some normal shots might pass under it). I also added shot limits.

More changes are probably needed to make this play optimally (especially to flags/zones), but will have to wait as we start a new term this week, and I (desparately) need to get prepared.

Thanks,

gnu-sense
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I think it's an amazingly cool map. I had a little time to play on it privately. I can't wait until (if) it's hosted publically.
A soft wind picks up and whispers "It's cooler than the real Missile War."
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I tried to host it, but there are way too many flags specified inside the map file itself. I couldn't maintain the connection to the server. (was unable to spawn, and it dropped me after a few seconds) A quick count came out to around 500 flags. If you get that fixed up, I can host it at BZExcess.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gnu-sense »

Yow. I know I had to be careful on the arcs and spheres, as an unfortunate specification of too many divisions would make the server lug on startup. I hadn't realized that the flags could be a problem this way.

Anyway, I updated again, cutting the numbers of most flags in half. This is probably more reasonable for most zones, but my quick calculation shows 251 flags. I hope that is low enough to make it hostable.

Getting the correct flag balance and placement is one of the more difficult things about map-making. It's easy to have too few, too many or silly and frustrating placements. For example, I had to give up certain tower zones, where the roof comes down too low (spawning the flag in the air).

Let me know if this runs into other problems; I'll fix it until it works properly. Thanks again,

gnu-sense
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Thanks gnu-sense, that works much better. :) The map is now running at BZExcess.com on port 5156.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

New version: Missile Wars Remixed 1.1

Post by gnu-sense »

I've taken comments I got and made some changes to the map. These are the following:
  • A front door (one-way see, shoot and drive out of)
    A better bouncepad
    Transparency in the ground-level pyramids
    Laser camping fix in the towers. There still is at least one good laser camping spot on the map, but I'm not telling anyone where it is.
    Other miscelaneous changes
The screenshot shows the new bouncepad (left) and the doorway (right) as seen from the inside side wall.

I haven't found a way yet to fix a couple of things. These have to do with mesh bugs (?) involving burrow getting stuck on the curved walls. For now, you just have to be careful. Feedback is still appreciated. If there's interest, and comments to respond to, I can make other incremental releases, time permitting. Some additional comments (larger map area, opening up forts more, etc.) I may save for version 2, in which I would change a larger number of things.

Everything is still hand-coded, though I have used Wings 3D to convert some objects to meshes. The doorway was created this way. If anyone needs to know how, PM me and I'll try to add it to the wiki.

gnu-sense
Attachments
mwr.1_1.png
Bouncepad and doorway changes
(983.71 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
mw-remix.1_1.bzw
Missile Wars Remixed version 1.1
(86.27 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Hey, so I worked and experimented a little, and found out a way to do the burrow thing, but it's gonna take some work from you.

Now, I used this:
And was able to make a box that lets (has to be a 1.0 box, can't be meshbox) you slowly slide out if you drop the BU flag. See if you can somehow use this, I was just experimenting, so yeah.

Code: Select all

options
-set _worldSize 50
end

material
name blue
color 0.6 1 0.6 1
end

box
position 0 0 2.045
size 9.99 9.99 9.155
rotation 0
end

meshbox
position 0 0 1.2
size 10 10 10
rotation 0
drivethrough
matref blue
end

zone
position 20 0 0
size 0 0 0
rotation 0
zoneflag BU 4
end
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Newest version is up and running at the same place (bzexcess.com port 5156).