Jefenry's Pocket Billiards

User made maps to use on servers.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jefenry's Pocket Billiards

Post by Jefenry »

Originally this was intended to be a fun, easy project to do over Thanksgiving Break. I'm not sure how playable it is, but is is mildly fun to fly through and blow up bots. With -set _friction 1, and -set _tankSpeed 75, the tanks are borderline out of control.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Edit- Oops, I must not have clicked submit when I added the new map this morning... Sorry. :oops:
Attachments
JefenrysPocketBilliards.bzw
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
bzfi0107.jpg
(178.44 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Wow, those balls have a really low face count, perhaps you could add more. Other than that, great work.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Oh wow that is nice... Maybe set up large invisible walls around it (if you haven't already...) and put large 3D people outside waiting for their turn, and one person getting ready to hit the cue ball? Of course, thats making it a bit complicated
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

PETER wrote:Wow, those balls have a really low face count, perhaps you could add more. Other than that, great work.
It is pretty low, but I really don't know what's an acceptable number of faces. This morning I changed the balls to 12 x 12, and the map turned out to be around 300kb. That seemed awfully high, so I redid the balls using soft lines. I think they look a little better, and the map's a lot smaller.
CUPCAKE wrote:Maybe set up large invisible walls around it (if you haven't already...) and put large 3D people outside waiting for their turn, and one person getting ready to hit the cue ball?
That should be fairly easy to do with a skybox, but finding the right textures might be a problem. Maybe though. It would look cool.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Things can't always be perfectly smooth. Its usually best to not have too many faces, because it takes up a lot of space. My first map using wings was over 1000kb, luckily less than 1024kb (1mb). This was mainly because I didn't realize how many faces I was putting in.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Looks good! Awhile ago me and AVM were Trying to Team up with LouMan and make something like this. But i like it. Keep up the good work.
zaa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zaa »

Nice one Jefenry! ;)

Very creative.

What would be cool is that if that in each pocket was a teleporter that lead to another spot on the map... Well, nevermind my ideas.

Hope to see more from ya!

-Zaa
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> What would be cool is that if that in each pocket was a teleporter that lead to another spot on the map... Well, nevermind my ideas.

Yeah...too bad horizontal teleporters aren't implemented (And vertical ones wouldn't have the same feel).

As far as my notes go, I'm not sure how much of this map is to be _played_ as much as it's to be _looked at_. From the screenshots, it just looks like a flat board with some balls to ricochet against. But I will have to play it to find out for sure.
soccermiles
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by soccermiles »

I think It's a pretty good map, just turn down the sliding a little tiny bit!
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

its up for now at ahs3.no-ip.biz:5000

Thanks

--ahs3
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I played it. Reminds me of Quidditch.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think that if you fall into a pocket it should shoot you down to the end of the table with one of those moving bridges like on BloodBath (I cant remeber what they are called) and then pop you back onto the table.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

That would certainly be interesting... But probably not that easy to do. I don't think that I fully understand though...
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

ducktape wrote:I think that if you fall into a pocket it should shoot you down to the end of the table with one of those moving bridges like on BloodBath (I cant remeber what they are called) and then pop you back onto the table.
That would defeat the point of the pockets! One of the original intents of this map was to really require accurate jumping. If you are going too fast and land on the outside edge, there's not much you can do to keep from going over the edge. The same with landing too close to a pocket.

I attached the latest map to my original post. It's nothing new than what's already hosted, but I've been too preoccupied with exams and kind of forgot about it.
bolon manik
Private
Private

Post by bolon manik »

i have an idea for this map but i don't know if its possible or if you'd like it.

But if it would be possible to have the bullets not kill another player but rather push them as a cueball would another ball on a real pooltable. then the goal would be to actually pocket your opponents.

The sliding could be a real help here. and some flags like ricochet would be funny and machine gun very pursuasive(spelling?). other flags like laser and gm would be useless though.

Also it might be difficult to have scoring system as the server would do all the killing.

Anyway its just an idea and it sounds fun to me. i do like the map already as it is. i'm a big fan of slidng surfaces. just a pitty that those kind of maps don't get played much. i really don't know why?
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

That sounds like fun, but I don't think the game can handle things "pushing" tanks.
Join MI6!
hamburger ham
Private First Class
Private First Class

no

Post by hamburger ham »

That wouldn't be possible... The easiest thing to do it make physics to make is seem like that (unlikely) The bullet pushes you into the pocket right? You get killed in the pocket anyways, so, whats the point
HH
There's no ham in hamburgers!----===
--=