Jefenry's Aztec Ballcourt

User made maps to use on servers.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jefenry's Aztec Ballcourt

Post by Jefenry »

This afternoon I made a ctf map based on the Mesoamerican Ballcourt. I made the basic map in iBZEdit, and then finished it up by hand. There's no cover, so dodging and jumping to different levels is a must. The sloping walls down the sides bounce shots upward to cut down on rico.

Four players per team
Two shots
Ricochet
No superflags
Shots keep their vertical velocity
You can climb the sloping walls

RingShot.txt is actually a clip of me jumping and shooting through the ring in the center of the wall. I used Copernicus for OS X. It turned out better than what I usually get with Copernicus, so I thought I'd add it as well. Someday I'm going to make a video of tanks doing tricks at Tedius' Skatepark. :P

Edit #4- I added a shockwave on cap, safety zones, bunkers for the bases to prevent spawn killing, clear pyramids in various places so the flags won't get stuck, death physics to prevent F5ing, materials to the doors to the base, removed rico from inside the base, and increased it to 4 players per team.
Attachments
AztecBallcourt.bzw
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Court.jpg
(99.42 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Base.jpg
(120.6 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
RingShot.txt
A short clip of me shooting through the ring. Save and change .txt to .mov
(475.34 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plokijuy »

It looks very simple but could have some very interesting gameplay
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

how do they climb the wall because im converting SF from another game and its a bit hilly and my friend said that you cant climb hills and what what
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

tonywolfe121 wrote:how do they climb the wall because im converting SF from another game and its a bit hilly and my friend said that you cant climb hills and what what
You jump. Unless he has added a escalator which i doubt he did.

Jef: It looks really! lots of fun. keep it up.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> how do they climb the wall because im converting SF from another game and its a bit hilly and my friend said that you cant climb hills and what what

> Three players per team
> Two shots
> No superflags
> Shots keep their vertical velocity
> You can climb the sloping walls

If you play it, you can jump onto the wall mid-way, and then jump forward to the top. Kinda difficult to explain, but easy to demonstrate in-person.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Its up at ahs3.no-ip.biz:5170

enjoy :-)

--ahs3
immunogoblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by immunogoblin »

I thoroughly enjoyed the arena action... there's a surprising variety of things that can happen for such a small, open area, owing to the sloped sides and the vertical velocity of shots. I think it would be even better if the full attention of the players could be focused on a single flag ("ball"), but it's great fun anyway - check it out, if you haven't. Oh, and play is limited to six at a time (at least when I played, it was), so if it's busy you might have to sit on the observer "bench" for a bit before someone leaves a slot open, but it's worth it.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

immunogoblin wrote:I think it would be even better if the full attention of the players could be focused on a single flag ("ball"), but it's great fun anyway - check it out, if you haven't. Oh, and play is limited to six at a time (at least when I played, it was), so if it's busy you might have to sit on the observer "bench" for a bit before someone leaves a slot open, but it's worth it.
I'm not sure about the single flag idea. Either a bot or a person would have to be on the "ball team" so the flag would spawn. I checked out the BZHockey map, but there was no ball when I joined so I'm not sure how that works.

However, I have thought of a way to use a tiny flag as the ball. If I made the _tinyFactor .95 or something close to that of a real tank, the flag wouldn't be very useful to the holder. Then, I'd make an area just big enough for the tiny tank to get into in the bases. Your team flag would spawn in that cubbyhole in the enemy's base. So, the battle is for the tiny flag to get the enemy flag that's out of reach in your base. Sorta like the narrow flag at Bloodbath. When you drop the tiny flag on the slope or in the cubbyhole, it will land on a pyramid and go back to the center. Else, the _maxFlagGrabs will be really high to allow it to be fumbled and recovered. Maybe this idea would be better because it doesn't require a third team or bots. I hope that makes sense, I just sort of wrote it as I thought. And I really hope I didn't just reinvent the wheel, and there's and obvious alternative to what I just described...

Question- What is the maximum number for _maxFlagGrabs? I've heard of a problem with 255 flags on the field, and was wondering if there is a limit.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> Question- What is the maximum number for _maxFlagGrabs? I've heard of a problem with 255 flags on the field,
> and was wondering if there is a limit.

_maxFlagGrabs only gives you the number of how many times you can pick a flag up before it respawns. It has nothing to do with how many flags are on the field.
Sparky1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hoops

Post by Sparky1 »

Jefenry wrote: However, I have thought of a way to use a tiny flag as the ball. If I made the _tinyFactor .95 or something close to that of a real tank, the flag wouldn't be very useful to the holder. Then, I'd make an area just big enough for the tiny tank to get into in the bases. Your team flag would spawn in that cubbyhole in the enemy's base. So, the battle is for the tiny flag to get the enemy flag that's out of reach in your base. Sorta like the narrow flag at Bloodbath. When you drop the tiny flag on the slope or in the cubbyhole, it will land on a pyramid and go back to the center.
I thought of an alternative creative way to include the hoops in game play since I last talked to you. Let me know if this idea sounds sucky. A tele could be placed in each hoop, the "red hoop" tele would lead to a room containing the red base, and the "blue hoop" tele would lead to a room containing the blue base. These rooms could only be accessed by the teles.

You can then incorporate your idea of using the tiny flag as a ball in order to fit into the hoops, or you can make the hoops larger so that a normal sized tank could fit allowing for the use of the green flag concept as a possibility. Either way, you should include enough thief flags on the field.

To add to the feel of the map, the bases could be placed on sacrificial alters, and the "alter rooms" could have Aztec hieroglyphics/pictographs (what ever the terminology is), and where there would be images of people, there would be instead images of red and blue tanks, perhaps portraying the play of the game. You could also add torches in the rooms.

Ricochet should continue to be allowed in the alter rooms, to allow the added possibility of defense by shooting into the hoops.

Of course, all tanks would only be allowed to spawn/respawn outside of the "alter rooms" for all cases (i.e. spawn after joining, respawn after death, and respawn after the team flag is captured). It would have to be determined if in this map it is better for tanks of the same color to be respawned on the same side of the field, or just randomly respawned anywhere on the field. World weapons would have to go off at each base to clear the alter rooms after capture. Perhaps world weapons would also be placed through out the field?
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

F687/s wrote:> Question- What is the maximum number for _maxFlagGrabs? I've heard of a problem with 255 flags on the field,
> and was wondering if there is a limit.

_maxFlagGrabs only gives you the number of how many times you can pick a flag up before it respawns. It has nothing to do with how many flags are on the field.
I know _maxFlagGrabs and the number of flags on the field have nothing to do with each other. I was using the more than 255 flags on the field problem as an example. Is there a value for _maxFlagGrabs that would cause problems to the server?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Jefenry wrote:Is there a value for _maxFlagGrabs that would cause problems to the server?
Probably not. However, the variable specifies the maximum number of times a flag may be picked up before it is reset... there is no minimum setting. If you're trying to make a flag stay on the field forever, this isn't a good way.
bolon manik
Private
Private

Post by bolon manik »

i was just now on your server.and i see you've made some changes. unfortunately no one was there and no one came but i checked the 'new' cap system anyway. by trying to cap my own flag. and surprisingly i succeeded. which is odd with the fair-cap plugin enabled. i had just enough time to move the flag to base before it automatically drops.
so i tried it a second time and no go but something else happened. the flag suddenly spawned out of the box, on the court. i figure that's not supposed to happen.

i thought i'd let you know.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

I remember learning about this ball court in 8th grade. Good job re-creating it, and nice job shooting through the hoop :)
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

bolon manik wrote:i thought i'd let you know.
Thanks, the map is going through a lot of changes right now. I'm trying to find a solution that is closest to what I want as well as what other people like. And hopefully not too confusing :). I like the idea of using the tiny flag as a ball, but working out the kinks is taking a while.
A Heart Attack wrote:Good job re-creating it, and nice job shooting through the hoop :)
Hopefully I can think of a way to incorporate them either by jumping or shooting through them.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Jefenry
Try making it so the team flags are in the hoops, and you need to jump into them with tiny to get them. That might be interesting.