Yojimbo's Barrier -- my first map :-) 4 team CTF

User made maps to use on servers.
Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yojimbo's Barrier -- my first map :-) 4 team CTF

Post by Yojimbo »

I have decided to turn my hand to mapmaking at last, and here is my first effort ...

Yojimbo's Barrier v0.2, currently running at bz.gonzul.net:5154 (hosted in New Zealand, everyone else will lag a lot ...)

This is a simple 4 team CTF map, influenced by Pillbox. Each team has their own zone of the map where they spawn; the only ways out of the zone are through the centre passes, or at the edges.

Barrier makes a lot of use of ricochet, with unpredictable rebound slots in the centre, and the intra-zone barrier itself -- which has a large transparent viewslot so you can see into the enemy zone without being able to shoot into it ...

The edge passes are protected by low barriers that are easy to jump over and drive around, but difficult to use to shoot past.

The bases are reasonably safe from camping (I'll add a world weapon to them soon) due to their height above ground. The 'thumb tacks' holding them in place are a great place to stash enemy flags that you don't want to cap, as they are lower than the flag drop height ... throw them up from the ground.

I expect that this will play best with around 5 players on each team; there are three pinch points to defend in each zone. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to sustain that many players on my server (the sever/ISP is fine, but there aren't many players who won't lag badly playing into New Zealand)

I'd welcome your feedback on the design :-)
Attachments
Barrier-0.2.overhead.png
Overhead view of the Barrier 0.2 playfield
(686.64 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Barrier-0.2.centre.png
The centre zone on Barrier 0.2
(747.58 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Barrier-0.2-flag_stash.png
Base defence -- why would they capture your flag when they need to get their own back?
(499.85 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...
Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Initial feedback seems OK ...

Post by Yojimbo »

Had a good afternoon with this map, around a dozen players at the peak (of course, it wasn't afternoon for them!). Shame about the lag getting to the server, I was the only player <200ms.

The centre section holds up well under fire, and the end passes are dangerous to both defenders and attackers. Shot length seems OK, enough to create good rebound opportunities, but you have to watch out for your team-mates!

The upper level on the bases is a bit difficult to get on to, which is great. It's easy to pass flags up from the ground level.

I had been thinking about a bit more ornamentation; pillboxes behind the base and perhaps obstacles in the middle of the zones, all of which would allow inclusion of some superflags. Now I think that for the size of the map that would be too much.

This may play well as a two team map, but I'd have to think about how to divide the map into two instead of four without making the zones too large ...
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...
Acmex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Acmex »

I like it.
Good work!
Acmex says:

Hi.
Bye.
Acmex!
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

It looks nice, but I think you should add more to each quadrant (like some blocks, pyramids, etc).

I'm sure that if you asked nicely, someone with a faster connection in a more central location geographically would be happy to host this map for you.