Stalingrad

User made maps to use on servers.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Stalingrad

Post by Jefenry »

Comrades! Stalingrad is in ruins and is nearly overrun! Go to bzbattleground.com:8942, devise a counter attack, make your way across the Volga River and free the city from fascism!

This is my latest map and it's based on the opening scene from the movie Enemy at the Gates. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I thought it'd make a good map. The flags are pretty overpowering, but I think that simulates such heavy casualties the real battle had.

Right now I have it as a capture the base.. Just make it across and you can cap on the enemy's territory. I really need suggestions on how to improve the map though. It's not symmetrical and the blue team is slightly disadvantaged. If you can think of any way to even it out, I'd love to hear it.

I'll have a map file at some point, hopefully once I get it a little more fair.

Thanks to ahs3, LouMan, R3lax, Spazzy McGee, and Winny for hosting and textures.
Attachments
Stalingrad.bzw
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
sovietside.jpg
(122.94 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
rivercrossing.jpg
(49.34 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
germanside.jpg
(121.84 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Stalingrad

Post by lep »

Wow! I got to say that this one really blows my mind. What really gets me is how much time you put into this. Of course time isnt everything, but I sure think this is great! Its also appropriate for my current history class!

Overall its a well-thoughtout map, very creative and matches history (from what i know)...Good job!

LittleLep
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Yes, I got to play on this for a while earlier today. It's a fantastic map, definitely a lot of fun.

The gameplay of it is pretty unique, too, it's definitely a lot different from the run-of-the-mill CTF maps that I've seen and played on (and made... whoops).

Great work, Jefenry!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Great movie!

Map looks good, too. :P I'll have to give it a try as soon as I get home.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Great map, unique game play, lots of special things like the small group of planes that do a fly-by over the river while you're trying to cross. Sure to be a major hit - great work, Jefenry!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

I've tried what I think are two version of this and I'm still sure its poor but not why. It's too much of a mix of far (very limited use laser), mid (VERY slow gm) and close (st, wings, mg).
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

I've about lost interest in this map, so I probably won't make any more changes to it. It does seem to be relatively balanced now, so I'm off to the next map.
tobylane wrote:I've tried what I think are two version of this and I'm still sure its poor but not why. It's too much of a mix of far (very limited use laser), mid (VERY slow gm) and close (st, wings, mg).
It seems to be a lot more popular than I'd suspected it'd be, so I guess I did something right. :)

Thanks for the comments.
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i've spent a lot of time on this map so far and enjoyed every minute of it.. it is indeed a huge successs, but what interested me from the beginning was, how people would react to it's 'politically incorrect' features, esp. a certain battle flag.. there have been expressions of disapproval, surprise, even shock among players (myself included), but in the end everybody seemed to understand and accept that this was a bz-style simulation of a real historical event, and remained cool about it. as far as i know nobody tried to get the flag or the map removed. that tells me a lot about the maturity level of bz players. once again i'm proud to be a part of a high quality gaming community. 8)