BZSoccer and BZHockey

User made maps to use on servers.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZSoccer and BZHockey

Post by SkillDude »

Per request of certain people that wish to see this map revived on a server I can no longer provide, here are the maps. Thank you everyone in the BZFlag community for reliving memories and giving me the chance to say that the community is one great bunch of people who come together to have fun. (The good clean fun sorta statement always stuck in my head) Anyways, I tend to pop around now with the intention of socializing and seeing how the community and maps continue to develop. (Like many other old-timers I believe do.)

So here they are,
BZSoccer
If you did not know, originally was created as a simple way to play a game of "soccer". A green flag was used, so there would always have to be a green player in order for the soccer ball to be in place. I would usually open a second client and stick a bot in there (You press 9 for autopilot right before the server actually starts after you connect which is a glitch that still works as of this writing, that allows it to not be kicked and allows for the green flag to be available) so that we can all play and have fun like soccer should be.

Eventually I developed what became known as BZHockey which introduced a lesser frictional surface in which it takes more control and patience to maneuver and capture the "puck" in this case.

In both maps, players would originally spawn on opposite sides of their respective fields to defend their goals. Should they so pursue the almighty green flag and try to score is up to them.

If you have played this in the past, a common thing that people remember is that ironically the fields have a switch to them. In soccer, you were not ever able to go behind the actual soccer posts. In the map, this is clearly broken as there is a space to run behind the goal. The hockey map on the other hand has no way to go behind it, but technically there should be a gap (even though you'd get penalized for it I believe) in order to represent a real hockey field. Nonetheless, the maps are highly enjoyable disregarding the realities of the maps.

In conclusion, I hope that wherever and however this map gets used in the future, it provides great fun and pleasure to the future players that get to enjoy what me and many others experienced in the past. An enjoyable BZ-Sport game you will never forget.

Good luck and let the games continue!

[EDIT] I am guessing since I will allow anything to be done with this map that I will release it under the public domain.
This work is in the Public Domain. To view a copy of the public domain certification, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
soccer.bzw
Official BZSoccer Map.
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
bzhockey.bzw
Official BZHockey Map.
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Last edited by SkillDude on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
The White Kitten
Private
Private

Re: BZSoccer and BZHockey

Post by The White Kitten »

wow.that gonna be cool
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

BZSoccer: bzflag1.bzextreme.com:5168
BZHockey: bzflag1.bzextreme.com:5169

Enjoy :)
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Thanks for hosting.

They really are great maps to play on with tons of action once it gets going.
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

Are they still need green dummy player? If so --- that's the only their problem, you can't just go and play, unlike other maps. I think the server should provide that player automatically.

or maybe it's possible to join with bot of specific color? (but still it's not very friendly for newbies).
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

i agree ::: just set up a bot and cage him in a box ;)
(or server-modding but harder to share the map among hoster's)

SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

mrapple: I did not realize this until now, but the BZSoccer map still has the old -time option on there. I have removed it and updated the file in the original post, but I suggest that you remove it also. Once players have completed a game, all have to leave before the server will reappear to start a new game. It would be preferred to have no time limits and just let the map be.

As for the green bot, unfortunately I do not have the time nor the skills to find a way to include a bot. (Or just the green flag for that matter.) The only way I can think of to do such a thing is setting the idle time to be infinite, and then making a green bot that is always nr. However, this poses problems as other inactive players would never be kicked and things could be out of hand. I am not sure how to go about this, but I post the map as is. Players that start it up usually know about the map and can place a bot up for the general public. If it is a newbie, well, they probably will not be able to figure it out, and that will end that.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Removed the time option.

Also, I modded bzfs so that the green flag spawns without a green person ;)

There is still a green spot because that tell's bzfs the flags is needed, but no one has to spawn.

Still a few bugs in the mod -- ill finish it up sometime soon ;)
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Thank you mrapple for doing that. I am actually glad that there are people out there who take the time to make these things (including all the development team that is working hard with 3.0), because otherwise we'd never see such an open source game progress.

Seems like the lone green flag works fine. Safe zones still work right, when you score it is back in the center, and it looks like now players can just login and start scoring. Works in BZHockey also. Very awesome, you just made the maps much more convenient for players!

Thanks again mrapple, hopefully if I ever get time next summer, I want to actually put some time into bzfs and bzflag. (Of course, I say that every year but I end up getting side tracked.)
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

Today I've come to the soccer server and after ~10 minutes it was crowded!

mrapple, there are invisible planes in the hights (for green player?). Could you please make them noradar?

by the way, now I see the map was made a bit roughly, but it's cute.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I actually did not know that noradar was not on that material! I have added it and updated the map respectively. I didn't notice because I use Fast Sorted radar style, instead of Enhanced or Normal.

I recently updated the map to include the thief limit that apparently was not included when I first uploaded the map. The line was too long compared to what we had after some updates, which were lost when I found my old BZSoccer map.

Finally, I removed clear.png as that texture disappeared in 2.0.14 up, and people always got error messages for that when they joined BZSoccer.

So that should settle everything I could tell for now. If there is anything else, let me know. The map was my 5th one I ever created I believe, so I was kind of a beginner when I created the map style, which is why it may have seemed rough, but the gameplay is nice. Hopefully everything will be fine now, and mrapple, it would be nice if you can update appropriately. (As far as I can tell, BZHockey hasn't needed any edits yet.)
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

i am glad to see that there is a "demand" for a CToneFlag solution ;)
good that you'll keep updating your map sigonasr2!

The Black Kitten
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Black Kitten »

That gonna be cool!
More Fun 1.0 FFA (BZJunkie.net:6000)
More Fun 2.0 FFA (BZJunkie.net:4001)
Contact me : http://tinyurl.com/kitten-contact