Pillcati Map w/Generator

User made maps to use on servers.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pillcati Map w/Generator

Post by SkillDude »

Here is my Pillcati map that you may have seen online a few times before.

The goal of this map was to combine pillbox and ducati in such a way that old gameplay features could come together and form a newer unique experience of gameplay.

This map has a few unique features including the defensive line on the bases. The blocks near them are made in such a way that they do not allow ricochet, providing some of pillbox back to life.

Most of the gameplay is done with ricochets, and 2 bullets. The pillbox part also includes one diagonal of a line of boxes from pillbox running down the field and dividing it into each side.

The generator creates blocks in such a way that no blocks end up in either corners, but blocks can appear elsewhere. They also won't block off the cross in the middle, but may have blocks by them and intersecting some parts of the diagonals.

In order to execute the bash script, simply do:

Code: Select all

./pillcati.sh
and a new pillcati.bzw file will be overwritten if it already exists, or a new one is created. This can easily be made to recreate many iterations of Pillcati.

(Note you may have to make it executable first by running:

chmod a+x pillcati.sh
The map has been around for awhile though, just want to release it (per request also) since some people actually want to play around or try to get something going with this map.

Recommended Extra Options not generated in the map:
-autoTeam
-tk

The 2.4.0 version includes the new ricochet options to allow for both the no rico pillbox style and the ricochet ducati style!

This work is in the Public Domain. To view a copy of the public domain certification, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
Attachments
pillcati.zip
Sample Pillcati generated file + 2.4.0 Pillcati Map Generator
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
pillcati.zip
Sample Pillcati generated file + 2nd Revised Pillcati Map Generator
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by SkillDude on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Pillcati Map w/Generator

Post by io »

Nice to see you again Sig :)

Good job with the generator ^^
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

I just have to say I absolutely *love* this map.

A version of it is hosted on BZTraining, and I have spent hour after hour on it.

Thanks for a great map and also posting the generator ;)
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Sorry guys that I didn't take the time to test this enough, but I fixed a few things in the map generator that increases the actual playability of the maps generated including:

-Pillbox diagonal setup was believe it or not uneven and created a slightly unfair map. They were shifted over -16.5,-16.5.
-There was one box missing for the pillbox diagonal setup also...Can't believe I didn't catch that before...
-Boxes no longer can occupy the center pillbox cross. This allows for the use of it strategically
-Pyramids and Boxes are not placed as close to the bases in the corners as before.

These little fixes increases playability of the maps by a lot, so if you ever plan to host this, make sure you download the new revised version!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I'll update the script when the server empties.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Thank you ahs3 and mrapple for first insight on a problem I've had with the script. You see, I write the script in my server, and using WinSCP, I transfer it to my Windows computer to get it ready for publishing on here, however the transfer mode is in "text" instead of "binary" mode. This interferes with how the file executes and thus gives errors as your system may try to execute this as text instead of an actual executable file per-say. (At least that's the conclusion I've come up with)

Regardless, a new uploaded version under my original post addresses this issue, and any further issues I may have with posting executable files. This should allow any and all bash-operated systems to be able to run this script now. (Instead of just ubuntu and gentoo, which I still have no clue as to why they let the file work fine in "text" mode.) But hey, we all make mistakes and learn new things from time to time.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Hi-
I love this map so much I wanted to make a small little restart script.
Basically, you define bzfs, the pidfile, and how many seconds between restarts.
Then the script goes into an infinite loop.
Im not that great with bash scripts so if someone wants to improve it so it dies when then PID is no longer running, that would be cool.
Hope this comes in handy :D

#!/bin/bash 
#! Configuration 
BZFS=/usr/local/bin/bzfs	# BZFS Location
PID=6169.pid	# Location to PID file
COUNTDOWN=10	# Time to wait (in seconds)
#! Loop forever, getting contents on /dev/null
echo Starting up... 
while cat /dev/null; do 
echo Generating random map... 
#! Run the script, appending the map file
./pillcati.sh >> pillcati.bzw 
#! Run the server, giving it some time to shutdown first
sleep 1
echo Starting BZFS...
$BZFS -time $COUNTDOWN -public "Pillcati ::: Generated $(date +%m-%d-%Y) at $(date +%I:%M)" -pidfile $PID -conf /path/to/your/conf 2> error.txt&
#! Wait some time between killing and generating 
echo Sleeping for $COUNTDOWN seconds...
sleep $COUNTDOWN
echo Killing PID...
kill `cat $PID`
done
FYI I put up a Pillcati map using this script at bzbureau.com:6169 that regenerates it self every three hours.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I have released the 2.4 version of the Map Generator along with it now being hosted at
66.76.118.56:9337 (Typing sigonasr2.servegame.org:9337 manually also works)

2.4 now makes it possible for each object to have its own ricochet property, which I have used to the fullest in this map. All intended pillbox obstacles have no ricochet, so you can have your classic pillbox chases around the boxes, but beware. Ducati players will get the chance to hit you from angles never intended as they bounce shots off walls!

Good luck to all players and I hope to see you online soon!