Q (needs hosting)

User made maps to use on servers.
Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Q (needs hosting)

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Hi everyone! This is a hastily thrown together map with some testing but it wasn't too thorough because it kind of needs more players to have a more thorough test. Because it was made quickly, I simply named it Q for lack of a better or more descriptive name.

It's a CTF map with 2 large bases (I'll just refer to them as "castles") and varying structures outside. The castles have a variety of super flags (excluding SW and most with shot limits) and normal flags. They have 2 entrances on either side and a large main entrance in the middle. There is a place to put your flag under the base because there weren't really any corners that weren't far enough away from a pyramid to be effective. The gates and 2 little bunkers outside were created from Wings3D. There is a G flag in the middle (1 shot only) on a very tiny platform. Underneath it is a death physics driver that is usually hard to actually fall into but adds a little more fun if you make a bad jump :). The paddles stemming from the middle allow for easier jumps for keyboard users, also. That's about it, really. I'll include the map file and the configuration file I used for testing for reference if you'd like it.

Liscense: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Attachments

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Q.bzw
The map
(168.79 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Q (needs hosting)

Post by SkillDude »

I have to admit, you have been creating fantastic maps lately. I love to see what you come up with each time. They look like typical maps but your maps always have some kind of special object or unique twist that makes it difference. Keep it up! I am sure many other users are admiring your simple yet effective maps also.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

This map actually looks quite good - both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay. The terrain is broken up enough that there's plenty of opportunity to dogfight, and the strategic structures look to be open enough that there's really no advantage to over-defensive concentration of your forces in-base (a common problem on almost every CTF map I've ever played).

Someone needs to host this one, ASAP.

EDIT: Quick question - are the pyramid structures in the field solid, drive/shoot-through, various combinations thereof?
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Map is running at BZExcess.com port 5155.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Thank you signosar! I like to keep it simple enough that it doesn't turn into a ridiculous 1-sided fight but also like to fiddle around with things in Wings3D to keep it interesting. Avatar - the pyramids are just solid to create some cover rather than a giant open middle that you can be mowed down repeatedly in. Thanks for the host, blast!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Okay, so I went roaming around on this map yesterday (alone, unfortunately), and I still stand by my original evaluation. I strongly suspect at this point that the evaluation will continue to stand even when full.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Would be nice to get it filled up - would be much better with a large game going