"House-to-House", new map by Gerbil!

User made maps to use on servers.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

"House-to-House", new map by Gerbil!

Post by Gerbil »

Ok--this is made as a no-radar, heavy wings map but it will play anyway you like. My default is "no flags on buildings" (which I recomend) so be sure to make world large enough to have a border free around map.

I didn't put any new geometries or textures in it though there are places they can be added. So this map can be played old or new school.

Certainly you can change whatever you like and use how you want--map has suggested server settings. It probably will be tough for lag on slow connection/low video players.
Attachments
Haus-zum-Haus.bzw
(171.71 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
House-to-House.gif
(110.7 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by Gerbil on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

AWESOME map!!!! i cant wait to play on it!!! no offense to BIYA, but this map is better than your Hide+Seek, This is an Awesome map..!! :D
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks

Post by Gerbil »

I love BIYA's "Hide-n-Seek Hills" but have toyed around and made several maps in the past along the "House-to-House" line--but I never released them. BIYA's use of no-radar really opens the way for a "game-within-a-game" which "Hills" really is. Just as there multiple maps for regular play, there should be some variety for "Wingers" as well.

So this is a possibly good addition to "Hills" (which I think is the current standard for a wing oriented map).

I also wanted to make it without textures and all just to show a fun world doesn't have to have them. I would love to play this--hopefully someone will host it.

Tanks for compliment!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

There are a few others, there is 3story by LoneWolf ( I think ) and my wingwars, but Biya's is the only one that's popular. Nader made one too.
Lirael_Goldenhand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lirael_Goldenhand »

Aah, nothing like a good ol' texture-free map... I dunno, the bright colours and textures of more recent maps are pretty cool, like LegoLand, but I think BZFlag was more like BattleZone when all maps were made of blocks and pyramids... you had be creative ;) Can't wait to play this map!
Does the walker choose the path or does the path choose the walker?

In dust we trust.

You never saw this. It didn't happen. Don't tell anyone or you're a dead man.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Haus-zum-Haus.bzw
Hö? Deutscher?
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Haus-zum-Haus

Post by LouMan »

Gerbil,

I set it up to host on my server, but I found some issues with the map when I played it. First, you were right - very heavy on the video card, I was down to around 30 fps, which is very slow for me (I am running a nvidia 5500 video card that normally gets around 60+). Also, the caution texture/mesh at the base of the buildings seems to have some problems - it appears as if there is some overlapping of surfaces going on and there is a definite weirdness on the drivethrough portions. I kept getting stuck and then unstuck. I also fell through to the bottom portion of the map and found that I had to drive clear across the map to get out.

If you can fix these things, I would be more than happy to try it out on my server (a little slow, but acceptable for 6-8 players). The map looks like it would be a lot of fun!
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks Louman

Post by Gerbil »

Yeah--those "textures"are the original teleporters which do criss cross and probably account for a lot of the low FPS and certainly the "getting stuck".

In the old days when I could reliably run a windows server I would have debugged it myself but there is no rhyme or reason now I can see to all the windows problems--they are intermittent, inconsistent and vary from machine to machine.

Case in point, I reset up my machine, saved out and restored the bat and bz files and bat files that ran servers before won't work now--with no directory changes or renaming or anything. Go figure.

I'll take out the teleporters that serve as streets (I had a reason for that but forget it) and see if that improves things and will remake certain elements. If you could let me know how it runs then, I can adjust it further if needed. In any event, it's good practice for me and I will get a world map up that works AND is fun.

Thanks for the interest! Oh..Saturos..Ich bin nicht ein deutsches, traurig....I just read a lot of "Sargent Rock" comics when I was a kid ; )

[forum suddenly creaks with weight of member's age]
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Gerbil, you should learn some 2.0 things. You could do the same thing with the caution if you had a meshbox and used the caution texture. Otherwise this map is ok.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

I would love to do that with the following caveats...

Post by Gerbil »

I am hoping to set up a world design website soon--though time is the problem. Without some asssitance, I can't get into 3D modeling just because my personal commitments are so heavy right now.

Let me tinker and repost it.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ok--here's the revision..

Post by Gerbil »

I've changed "House-to-House" to "Rat City".

See the new post for files and info.