noradar

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

noradar

Post by mathiaz »

Hi,

I am finishing a map "breizh tomato".
there are several level, and 2 big bases.
I would like to know to make these bases invisible on radar. Players use big radar now.
I try :

material
name noradar
noradar
end
box
name campNE
position -200 225 0
size 100 75 20
matref noradar
end

It s invisible on radar yes, but i make big weird white box.

I think i have to put more configuration in material code bloc. texture etc ...
Do you know how to set the material of default bloc (standard brick ..)...

Thanks for answer :)
<°)))><|
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: noradar

Post by JeffM »

It's not weird, it did exactly what you told it to do :)

You defined a single material, with no texture named 'noradar', then made your box use that material. The material has no texture or color so it gets white. If you want color and texture, you have to define it. The game doesn't know that you wanted to use the base color textures, nor what one to use.

You want to define a new set of baseMaterials for each base color, and give it the standard base color textures.

so something like this for each base color
Material
name RedBaseTop_NoRadar
texture red_basetop
END

Then use that material for the specific bases you want.

You'll probably have to texture the base walls separately too.

When you override the material on an object, you override all aspects of the material.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Depending what you mean by "bases" it might not be possible. I don't believe the "base" object for CTF maps allows things like materials. So, if you're trying to make a CTF map, you might be stuck with them showing on the radar.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

By base i mean a big "box". With a classic "base" on it.
(We can forget the "base" itself.)

I want this "box" be invisible on radar. It s too big and hide player outside visual if they use maximum size radar.

So i just want a classic "box" with every default attributs (brick wall etc...) but INVISIBLE on radar.

With other words : The only difference with default "box" is that is invisible on radar.
bzflag.png
(172.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Am i to define a whole "material ... end" code bloc?
If yes have you the attributs of standard "box"?

Sorry for my poor english.

thanks
<°)))><|
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I don't think you can apply noradar to a 1.0 box without turning it into a meshbox.

The main issue with that is when driving from mesh to non-mesh object or from non-mesh to mesh object.
(Tanks seem to get stuck or something.)
(I'm not sure if it is both or if it was one of them, but I remember this in a map I tried to make once.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

No, you are correct with noradar needing to belong in a material and you don't need to define all of the settings for a material block. Contrary to what Zehra says, there's no need for it to be a meshbox.

Not sure if this applies to you, but the "noradar" settings only works on radar settings that are not set to "Normal." So Enhanced, Fast, or Fast Sorted will respect "noradar" but not "Normal."
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

My invisible_noradar material
This makes a box completely invisible, doesn't even cast a shadow, but it's still "there" for collision detection . May as well remove some other attributes while you're at it.
I use this a lot.

material
name invisible_noradar
color 0 0 0 0
noculling
noradar
noshadow
nosorting
nolighting
groupalpha
end
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

Hi,

Is there a way to make box, or meshbox, invisible on all radars ?

material
name discret
noradar
end

meshbox
position 0 0 0
rotation 45
size 80 80 80
top matref discret
outside matref discret
end

With this example, I see bloc when my radar is set as "normal".

Or is there a way to force player radar settings?

Thanks
<°)))><|
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The radar style is a client controlled aspect which can not be controlled by the server.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I know if you just use a plain “matref” (without the top/sides designator) to cover all sides of the object, the noradar function does work. You may need to specify a noradar material for all angles of the object to get it to work.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

macsforme is correct.
In my experience, unless you use all six "side" matrefs, none of them function. top bottom inside outside startside endside
Or, just use a single matref, without any "sides"
Either one of these two should work.

meshbox
position 0 0 0
rotation 45
size 80 80 80
top matref discret
bottom matref discret
inside matref discret
outside matref discret
startside matref discret
endside matref discret
end

or,

meshbox
position 0 0 0
rotation 45
size 80 80 80
matref discret
end

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

hmm noway, bloc is still visible with "normal" radar.
I wanted test a labyrinthe where tanks appear on radar, but not blocs.
<°)))><|
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Depends on what exactly you need and how creative you want to be.

At default world size and radar size, any box with a width of 0.01 or less should be invisible on radar. As such, unless you need a top and bottom side, you could make paper thin, hollow boxes. Or even just paper thin walls, should that suit you.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I tried converting to drawinfo, and that shows on normal radar too.

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The issue is simply how the *normal* radar works in operation.
Ideally noradar would cause an object not to appear on all radar styles.

I haven't tested or confirmed this, but what may work is to use non-visible and non-interactive objects and place them around the boxes, so as to make them appear as a single ground level on radar. (In essence making a single box floor.)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Zehra wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 pmI haven't tested or confirmed this, but what may work is to use non-visible and non-interactive objects and place them around the boxes, so as to make them appear as a single ground level on radar. (In essence making a single box floor.)
That doesn't work on Fast Sorted. Even if enclosed with a passable and transparent meshbox of the same height, you will still see the objects inside with a darker color, ever though the hue will be the same.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

tainn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 pm That doesn't work on Fast Sorted. Even if enclosed with a passable and transparent meshbox of the same height, you will still see the objects inside with a darker color, ever though the hue will be the same.
If the boxes themselves are placed in a grid pattern, there should be no overlaps or enclosing of the (mesh)boxes themselves and quite likely with the right settings, they should all appear uniform on radar in theory.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Zehra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pmIf the boxes themselves are placed in a grid pattern, there should be no overlaps or enclosing of the (mesh)boxes themselves and quite likely with the right settings, they should all appear uniform on radar in theory.
I just tested this and there is indeed no clear transition between the objects on Fast Sorted. The only demand is that both meshboxes have the same height.

So, in a way, a solution, albeit not an elegant one, would be to fill all the empty space with transparent and passable meshboxes. Unless you are also using pyramids and other non-rectengular solid objects, which can complicate this approach...
GEP
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GEP »

tainn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm So, in a way, a solution, albeit not an elegant one, would be to fill all the empty space with transparent and passable meshboxes. Unless you are also using pyramids and other non-rectengular solid objects, which can complicate this approach...
Either that or you could give all objects "noradar" and have a meshbox floor the size of the world
meshbox
position 0 0 0
size 400 400 0.1
noradar
end
which should prevent anything from showing on "normal" radar as well.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I always had problems if the ground was completely covered by objects. BZFS could not place flags properly if there was not a small sliver of ground visible to the sky somewhere.
This may have been fixed since I tested it long ago.