Teleporters

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Teleporters

Post by Legolas_ »

I have a few questions about the border on a teleporter.

1). Is there anyway to change the border without setting no border and adding a mesh along to it?

2). Is there a good way to tell which side is which, (front/back) without using an editor like bzedit?, just tell me your guys' way to do this.

3). If the border of a teleporter was really big, could it somehow create a cubeish object with an impassable teleporter on the inside (aka a meshbox with caution.png as the texture)?

4). If you have a really small teleporter, like a .5 .125. 5 (something smaller than the tank) what happens to the tank as it tries to pass?

5). Will there ever be a way to define a zone as a target for the teleporter, or would this even be considered?

This info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

1. I know you can in BZEdit, maybe later I'll look at it. See Edit.
2. Dunno, I use BZE
3.[Dont use meshes]
4.I would assume that the tank wouldnt go through.
5. Stick the desination teleporter in the air, would be my solution.

Edit: Re #1, I put a tele at 0 0 0 and changed the border to 5 in BZEdit. I get this in the map file:
teleporter
name Teleporter
position 0 0 0
rotation 0
size 0.125 10 10
border 5
end
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

2). Is there a good way to tell which side is which, (front/back) without using an editor like bzedit?, just tell me your guys' way to do this.
Whenever making a teleporter in bzedit, at least, the front side of the teleporter is always facing X+. So you'd just have to think about how a teleporter was rotated or positioned to remember which side is which.
4). If you have a really small teleporter, like a .5 .125. 5 (something smaller than the tank) what happens to the tank as it tries to pass?
Used to be that you could come *out* of one that size, but not go in. Now, you can't go in, and if a teleporter is set to that small of a size, the link will fail to work to bring you out of a teleporter that small. At least, to my knowledge. I try to use about 3x3x3 teleporters at smallest... I think it can be done with 2ish (besides height).

I don't have any real answers at this time for the rest of your questions.