Stopping flags from going through ceilings

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Stopping flags from going through ceilings

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Hello,

I am making a map, and it's a CTF. Most of the map is underground, including the teams' bases. When someone grabs a team flag, then lets it go, it will "bump" up to the surface (where it isn't always possible to grab). I need to make it so that the flag drops to the floor when dropped, no matter what the height of the tank carrying it.

At the very least I could use safezones, but I'm not sure how to designate the area above the tunnels as "unsafe".

I've played around with flagAltitude without any luck.

Thanks in advance!
Join MI6!
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

make the roof drivethrough, maybe?
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
Warinthestar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Warinthestar »

Putting a flat pyrmid on the roof should make it an unsafe spawnzone...
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

You should be able add the death physics driver to the roof, as long as you don't actually intend for tanks to be up there. I have not yet found an easy way to make flag "unsafe" zones in places where I also want tanks to be able to travel.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Physics
this signature intentionally left blank
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I've tried things suggested here, but none have worked...

The ceilings are actually one-way meshes. When dropped, the flag goes all the way up to the next floor above. It isn't resting on the same ceiling that causes it to "bump".

Also, tanks *are* meant to drive where these flags keep bumping to. You spawn outside, and then drop down into the tunnels. You can't jump back out. However, each team spawns on its own side, which means that once your team flag gets upstairs, it's impossible for the other team to reach it.

I tried putting pyramids one unit above the ceilings all over the place, but the flags just jump right through them.

Would it be possible to use the flagstay plugin? Could I define the entire tunnels area as the zone that that flag cannot leave? I don't know if flagstay works with team flags.

If there's no way to get this to work, I will either have to scrap the "outside" region entirely, or put pyramids on the surface wherever the tunnels go (which would look kind of silly) or find some other way of making the map work without a CTF (a keep away maybe?)
Join MI6!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

If there's no way to get this to work, I will either have to scrap the "outside" region entirely, or put pyramids on the surface wherever the tunnels go (which would look kind of silly) or find some other way of making the map work without a CTF (a keep away maybe?)
Or just make the tunnels deeper. I think there needs to be around 11-15 height for a flag to be able to drop and stay on the lower level. Otherwise it will float to the area above (roof).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ducatiwannabe wrote:
Or just make the tunnels deeper. I think there needs to be around 11-15 height for a flag to be able to drop and stay on the lower level. Otherwise it will float to the area above (roof).
What happens if a player jumps up and then drops the flag? Would it not float to the area above anyway?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

What happens if a player jumps up and then drops the flag? Would it not float to the area above anyway?
Good point. :) Perhaps you could add physics to the tunnels so that tanks can't jump while inside, or else their jump height is seriously limited?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ducatiwannabe wrote:
Good point. :) Perhaps you could add physics to the tunnels so that tanks can't jump while inside, or else their jump height is seriously limited?
That still doesn't solve the real problem.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

True... but sometimes maybe we should take what we can get, under the circumstances. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, QT.
StainlessSteelRat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by StainlessSteelRat »

-deleted- you knew about _flagAltitude. Shoulda read the entire post :oops: