What is the best bzflag editor for macs???

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
styrofoam1994
Private First Class
Private First Class

What is the best bzflag editor for macs???

Post by styrofoam1994 »

I want to make a map for bzflag, and I do not have mcuh experionce with 3d editors. I also don't know how to host it publicly with a slogan and give it out publicly instesad of just "localhost".
answer this
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Smultron, which can be found at http://smultron.sourceforge.net/

(Personally, I dislike Smultron as an editor, and I prefer SciTE, but that's quite the good fun to get up and running.)

Oh, for a graphical editor, look up iBZEdit.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

If you're new to 3D modeling for BZFlag, Wings 3D is the way to go. IMO, Blender is way too complicated for beginners.

Check out the wiki for lots of info on this, and general BZW stuff: http://www.bzflag.org/w/MapMaking

Oh, and I might as well shamelessly plug the Map Dev Group, http://mybzflag.net . There's useful stuff there, too.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

The wiki also has information on starting public servers. Go to http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_A_Server for more info.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I think a combination of a 3-d editor and text mapping is the way to go.
No matter how good you are with a 3-d editor, you have to put the final touches on your map in text. So you need to know both.
Wings 3D is probably the best editor for a newb to mapping.

Try this trick, go to your favorite BZFlag server, and run this comand.
/saveworld -o map.bzw
This will save a map in obj format, and you can import an .obj into wings.

The hardest part of making a server public is opening the ports/firewall. THere is lot of information about starting a server.. except for that part... if you look around.
Last edited by optic delusion on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Optic Delusion wrote:Try this trick, go to your favorite BZFlag server, and run this comand.
/saveworld -o map.bzw
This will save a map in obj format, and you can import an .obj into wings.
Just keep in mind that your "favorite BZFlag server" may be running a map that is not open-source, and you therefore might be violating their license and/or copyright by saving the map. For personal testing of modeling, sure, go for it. But for any other purposes, including releasing maps or running maps, be careful about "stealing" content.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

It is always up to the map-maker what the 'best' map editor is. Some prefer ibzedit, some prefer text-edit, some use wings3d, some use blender. There are many, many options to choose from.

However, like Optic Delusion said, when using a 3d editor, it is always best to make final changes in a text editor.

Experimentation is always good, find what suits you best, and work from there.