What do I use to test map?

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
The Black Ace
Private First Class
Private First Class

What do I use to test map?

Post by The Black Ace »

Hello everyone, sorry about asking this question again (my other posts got deleted) but I do not want to make a server because Im pretty sure my dad won't let me. The public server page was deleted by donny baker. The thing made by blast wasnt working because a pop up thing said there was a bug or something and I downloaded this thing to make server, which I didnt read the title saying it was making a server ( I thought it would let me test map). So if there is anything that you guys know that I can test my map with (driving around on my map on my pc, but the map is the same as it would be if I hosted it), please, tell me how to download it and what to do because making a map is new to me and ill get cunfused kinda easy from putting in codes. I just want something simple (or hard if thats the only option).

Thank you very much if you do find a thing I was asking because im really excited to test it but mostly I need it to see if im making it right (not too big, not too small).

Black Ace
joevano
General
General

Re: What do I use to test map?

Post by joevano »

The Black Ace wrote:The public server page was deleted by donny baker.
I would love to take credit for this, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I have deleted none of your pages.

Back on topic. Please check up on your posts when you ask questions in other posts. We have answered this exact question at least 2 other times. You got the error on blast's application because you most likely do not have the .Net framework version 1.1 loaded. It is required for that application. Otherwise you need to read http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_A_Server . It is not difficult, but you will probably be stretching your skills. We are giving you the answers, you need to use them. We can help you, we cannot do it for you.

You must create a server to test your map. A bzflag server is the only way to drive around on a map. It does not have to be on a separate machine, it can be the same machine your client and map making software is on. It does not have to be public. I would recommend you get the .net 1.1 framework and use blast's application (as has been recommended before).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you are unable to use my application even after installing the .NET framework, I would recommend reading the documentation for BZFS that was provided with the game. If you can't find that, then you need to learn how to navigate your computer first. Then, learn how to use the Command Prompt by using Google.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Black Ace
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Black Ace »

I downloaded your application but I don't know what to do after that. I got those three things in that you browse for. When I do run, it brings up bzflag (takes like 15 sec to load). What do I do after that? Do I hit start server or what?

Thanks
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

The server is automatically set to localhost, and it'll try to put you in the map automatically. If it does not, hit escape and push join game and connect. If that still doesn't work, there's something wrong with your map. Push the "Stop..." button to see what error it gives if you can't start it.