water, ditches and tunnels...

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

water, ditches and tunnels...

Post by silver surfer »

Yeh i'm working on a map that's gonna need a lil river(which is where the ditch comes in... how do you make a hole in the ground and add water to it?)... and tunnels... how do you make these things is it a plugin or somethin?

all help appreciated
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

You could use a water level and make your map above it.

Code: Select all

waterLevel
 name example_waterlevel
 height -1.0
end

Or you could use a water based texture on something, which could allow you to go "under the sea" so to speak.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you don't. you can not go below the ground.

to do what you want you'd make a new ground made out a mesh that had the features you wanted it in it, and put that above the ground.

This is getting into the more complex types of maps. Take a look at louman's mystic valley.
ImageJeffM
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

i have to agree with jeff on this one :wink:

BZTANK.NET ADMIN - THE PLACE TO BE!!!!
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

yes jeffm thats exactly what I want you know his little river how do I make the water like mystic valley?! kind of looks like it's a little unground... what about the tunnels how do I make those? and how do you make a new ground I have absolutely no idea
Last edited by silver surfer on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

silver surfer wrote:yes jeffm thats exactly what I want u know his little river how do I make the water like mystic valley?! kinda looks like its a little unground... what about the tunnels how do I make those? and how do you make a new ground I have absolutely no idea
You use a 3D editor like blender to make the mesh (the new "ground")

Louman's maps are usually made of 100% meshes, which means you cannot do this with BZEdit.

http://www.blender.org/
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

thank you winny I'm downloading the blender right now... but still does anyone know how to make tunnels... yet something in another one of loumans maps...(loumans castles)
Last edited by silver surfer on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

You make them the same way, you use meshes.

Again you are getting into the very advanced map editing features.

You do not seem to have a clear grasp of 3d modeling. There is no "easy" tunnel feature. No one can tell you how to make them step by step. You model them in your mesh editor.

The subject of teaching you how to use a modeler is outside the scope of this topic or even this forum
ImageJeffM