Maps

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ashleypogi13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Maps

Post by ashleypogi13 »

uhmm im making a map and i wanna put some colors on some pyramids, boxes. how do i put colors on my map?
blast
General
General

Re: Maps

Post by blast »

ashleypogi13 wrote:uhmm im making a map and i wanna put some colors on some pyramids, boxes. how do i put colors on my map?
Please refer to the BZW manpage and the BZFlag wiki.

Also note that if you are using the majority of the graphical map building tools that you will not be able to use advanced map features such as colors/textures/materials, physics drivers, and the newer objects (mesh, arc, sphere, etc). BZEdit, for example, can only do very basic tasks.

The map format is human readable/writable, so you may end up using a text editor to do some of the building process. The BZW man page will give examples of the actual map objects.
Last edited by blast on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

You want to research the "material" property... which you can then apply to a object, like a mesh, a meshbox, etc...

Code: Select all

material
name CoolColor
color 1 1 1 1 # In order: Red, Green, Blue, Alpha
end
To apply it to a meshbox, do this:

Code: Select all

meshbox
name SomeMeshbox
size 10 10 10
position 0 0 0
rotation 0
matref CoolColor
end
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And just to expand on Winny's post: If you are using a recent version of the BZFlag server (2.0.9 or 2.0.10) then you can even use the 'matref' on objects like the 'box' and 'pyramid'. More info can be found here: http://my.bzflag.org/w/Box
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ashleypogi13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ashleypogi13 »

im using bzedit on mapmaking. so bzedit can never put colors on objects?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ashleypogi13 wrote:im using bzedit on mapmaking. so bzedit can never put colors on objects?
BZEdit is designed for created maps for BZFlag 1.7. It was never updated to go beyond that as far as I know. So no, it will not do colors, textures, or any of that.

captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

if your server is the latest version, but players clients arent, will they still be able to see the textures on the pyramids and boxes?
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

captainmack wrote:if your server is the latest version, but players clients arent, will they still be able to see the textures on the pyramids and boxes?
Yes. The server converts them to a mesh automatically. It is actually easier to texture the 'box' and 'pyramid' objects because you can specify an exact side to apply the texture to. For example, I was able to easily create cardboard boxes with a set of textures.

http://static.bzexcess.com/boxes01.png
http://static.bzexcess.com/boxes03.png

However, there might be collision detection issues with "meshified" boxes. I haven't yet done much testing in that regard.