Map Making With Text Edit

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Map Making With Text Edit

Post by allejo »

If I put a document that has text and like the information of a world is it possible someone can put it on their sever?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

There are people who own servers that are capable of hosting your map, yes. Your best bet is to create your map and post the file here, so potential hosters can see it and make a decision.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

can they put it if it's a mesh? (that's what;s called if it only has text right?)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:can they put it if it's a mesh? (that's what;s called if it only has text right?)
No, all maps are text, whether they include meshes or not. A mesh is a complex series of points(coordinates) used to model a 3-D object. Most of Louman's maps have meshes in them. You can code meshes by hand in a text editor, but many people use Blender or Wings to model the object first and then convert it to a format compatible with BZFlag.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Thanks so if i only have the map just as coordinates in text edit it is still possible for someone to host it?

P.S. this is of topic put how do you put a picture under your username when you post something

I'm sort of new to this
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:How do you put a picture under your username when you post something?
That it the avatar; you can change it in your profile editing page.
Last edited by clarahobbs on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FKA Ratfink
BZ-FLAG-ROCKS
Private
Private

Post by BZ-FLAG-ROCKS »

WHat formats are compatible with bzflag?

I can model all kinds of 3D stuff But what mesh format?

Ones I am familiar with is *.3ds or Real 3D solids format STEP IGes
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZ-FLAG-ROCKS wrote:WHat formats are compatible with bzflag?

I can model all kinds of 3D stuff But what mesh format?

Ones I am familiar with is *.3ds or Real 3D solids format STEP IGes
None. BZFlag has it's own map format. You can, however, convert .obj files with modeltool or a few other tools into BZW format.
Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:Thanks so if i only have the map just as coordinates in text edit it is still possible for someone to host it?
A BZFlag map file is a BZFlag map file. We have already stated that YES, people CAN host a map for you.

A map file is just text. Nothing more. Our map language is fairly basic. You can read about the various objects in the BZFlag Wiki pages about BZW.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)