New Router, public server not working

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Router, public server not working

Post by Evanejk »

Ok, I got a new router because the old one broke and now I can't get a public server to work. I'm getting this error message
http://evanejk.webs.com/thy.bmp
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You must have gotten it fixed... was playing with you on 2-Tanks or lasermania with you after this was posted (don't remember which). What was the problem?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Evanejk, you need to forward the port on your router if you want to run a server. The error is occurring because the list server is trying to connect back to your server, but it cannot get there. So the request to the list server is timing out.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

blast wrote:Evanejk, you need to forward the port on your router if you want to run a server. The error is occurring because the list server is trying to connect back to your server, but it cannot get there. So the request to the list server is timing out.
ok, so what should I put in here?
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5272/portlr1.png
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Look at the attachment, you'll get the idea. Change any settings as needed.
Attachments
port_range_forward.jpg
linksys port forwarding
(95.91 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

anomaly wrote:Look at the attachment, you'll get the idea. Change any settings as needed.
I still get the same error
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Evanejk,

First I would upgrade to the latest firmware for your router. The latest is 1.05 released in 2004. You can find it here http://www.linksys.com

1. You can put anything in the application box as it is just a description
2. In the start and end boxes but the port you have your bzfs server running on (5154 by default)
3. Leave protocol as "Both"
4. In 'IP Address', put the internal IP address of the machine that is running BZFS. On windows you can find this out by opening a command prompt and typing 'ipconfig'. For example if 'ipconfig' said you ip address was 192.168.1.72, you would but 72 in that box, and if it said 192.168.1.65 you would put 65
5. Put a check in 'enable'
6. Click save settings
Last edited by joevano on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

donny_baker wrote:Evanejk,

First I would upgrade to the latest firmware for your router. The latest is 1.05 released in 2004. You can find it here http://www.linksys.com

1. You can put anything in the application box as it is just a description
2. In the start and end boxes but the port you have your bzfs server running on (5154 by default)
3. Leave protocol as "Both"
4. In 'IP Address', put the internal IP address of the machine that is running BZFS. On windows you can find this out by opening a command prompt and typing 'ipconfig'. For example if 'ipconfig' said you ip address was 192.168.1.72, you would but 72 in that box, and if it said 192.168.1.65 you would put 65
5. Put a check in 'enable'
6. Click save settings
You are my bestest friend. It works.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Also it is best to give the computer that is running the server a static IP. If your machine reboots it may get another IP address if it is configured for DHCP. If that happens you will have to change the IP in the router.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to put in the values as I had them. I thought you would be able to change the settings to fit your network.