air (re) spawning question

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

air (re) spawning question

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I've got spawn zones for all teams near the ground. When testing, I respawn in the correct X-Y location as given by the appropriate zone, but my Z location is equal to the highest object on the map (type apparently not important - tall pyramids cause this as much as cylinders or blocks).

I *need* one tall object, as this is a circular map, and it is surrounded by a transparent cylinder that keeps people inside the map area (there are invisible pyramids outside the circle, so spawning doesn't happen there).

I can't figure out why this is happening, or more to the point how to prevent it. I've plastered invisible pyramids over the tallest object so that one can't spawn on it, but that still seems to be the height of *every* respawn.
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, but it might help.

What I've found is that if any objects are in the zone, that aren't at the same height as the zone, then the Z values for the zone don't do anything.

If your spawn zone has any objects within it, like this:

box position 0 0 0 size 10 10 10 end
box position -80 200 700 size 10 10 1 end
zone position 0 0 0 size 300 300 0 end

The first box is in the spawn zone, so it messes up the Z values for the zone, making it possible to spawn on the both the first and second boxes. (or any boxes within the zone's x/y values).

Solutions i've found for this:
remove -sb
make several zones so that they don't interfere with other objects.