How do I set up a public server up on mac?

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

How do I set up a public server up on mac?

Post by the panda next door »

I want to host a public server on mac Leopard and I have tried the following options:

Code: Select all

-dddd
-public "broken tank over there's first server"
-publicaddr <my address form whatsmyip.org>
-p 5154

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I'm in a network?
I know my static ip (10.0.1.3) and I haven't made any changes to the firewall.
The ip address at whatsmyip.org is the same for all computers in my network.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

You need to unblock the correct ports on your router.

http://portforward.com/

Look up your router and follow the instructions.
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

In the section where the instructions say to open Air Port Admin Utility: There is no such application!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

On Leopard it is simply called the "Airport Utility".

Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility

From there, wait for it to find your router, and then you can administer it from there.
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

The application isn't finding my router.

-also, is there a way to find out the password for my router?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

If you don't know the password, then chances are your parents don't want you running a server, or touching the router's settings.

Running a server is not trivial, it is best to get someone with a suitable connection to host it for you.
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

Where can I find someone to host the server for me?
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Where can I find someone to host the server for me?
First, figure out a good reason for somebody to give you shell access to their server machine. A good reason might be that you have a really cool map, or knowledge to give, or maybe you can be a _useful_ volunteer. Offering sizable chunks of money never hurts either. If you've got none of the above, you probably don't want to host a server bad enough to actually make it happen.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, it's the plain, honest truth. Bear in mind that at the very cheapest, a dedicated server on a decent connection will cost you $50/month. Most are considerably more than that.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

broken tank over there wrote:Where can I find someone to host the server for me?
Are you trying to run a map you created?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yes, I am trying to run a map I created.
I also want to use the plugin I created.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

What blast is probably getting at is that you can run a server on your own machine for testing without setting up a public server. It's enough to test your own map and plugins
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

I already have tested my map privately and have set up a lan server.
Now I want others to be able to play on my server.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Well boy, get readin' in the wiki! Google port forwarding while you're at it.

If it sounds like people are being ambiguous, it's because every June, we get swamped with people who can't be bothered to read the wiki and read old forum posts.

Ironically, it's usually the people who don't need to ask questions that end up actually getting their server running.

You WILL need to forward at least one port from your router to your computer, and yeah, you'll need the password to the router to do it. If you were my kid, I'd want to know exactly what you were doing, and why. From a lot of parents' perspective, they're worried about their kid messing up the connection (which can be done quite easily), and then they're stuck on the phone for 3 hours waiting for tech support to figure out what's wrong.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I think we should not help with port forwarding. It's kind of the IQ test for bzflag serving. If they can't set it up with the portforward website, they don't deserve to run a server.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
the panda next door
Private First Class
Private First Class

My parents approve of me running a public server. (even my dad plays)
The real problem is that the airport base station(the router thingy) isnt being detected by Airport Utility.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

It sounds like you're trying to host on a computer that isn't attached directly to the router. That may or may not be a bad idea. Personally, I'd go with a wired connection - it's just simpler. Even better yet, I'd get a half-busted old computer, install some sort of minimalist Linux Distro on it, and just leave it by the router.

I picked up one such computer at a garage sale last year. They just gave me the machine, since they thought it was busted. Turned out all it needed was a good cleaning and a hard drive. I got a used 20G drive for $7 on Ebay, and was off and running. It'll even play Unreal Tournament 2004 (barely, but hey, it only cost me $7!)

Such a machine would run at least 2 or 3 bzflag servers with no trouble whatsoever. The main limitation to running a server out of your house is your upload bandwidth. Often, ISPs give you a fairly fast download rate, and a crappy upload rate. For example, around here, Verizon offers 1.5M down and 256K up. At that rate, you'll get away with maybe 6 players on a very simple map, like Pillbox. The more complex you get the worse the lag will be. If they need to download custom meshes and textures, you can forget it at that sort of connection. Now, if you have FiOS, or some such, you'd be able to do just about whatever.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What I was getting at was that I would be willing to host the map for you on my dedicated server. Is the map posted on the map releases forum? I would prefer that method, but you could send me the map via a PM with any configuration you might prefer. I can't guarantee I'll run it indefinitely, but I can certainly run it for a while.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Longhair wrote:The main limitation to running a server out of your house is your upload bandwidth. Often, ISPs give you a fairly fast download rate, and a crappy upload rate. For example, around here, Verizon offers 1.5M down and 256K up. At that rate, you'll get away with maybe 6 players on a very simple map, like Pillbox. The more complex you get the worse the lag will be. If they need to download custom meshes and textures, you can forget it at that sort of connection. Now, if you have FiOS, or some such, you'd be able to do just about whatever.
Also, running services on your home internet connection may be restricted or prohibited by your ISP. Check with your ISP's Terms of Service to make sure that you're allowed to use your connection in this fashion.