BOTS

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

BOTS

Post by Crallion »

First, is there any way to directly implement bots into a map so the they are always there?

Second, could someone tell me how to make a <i>complex<i> bot (not -solo #) or give me sample code or whatever you need for a complicated bot?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BOTS

Post by anomaly »

if you want 2.0.x bots, check out this post.

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10602

I have built the tepbot client and it works fine. You'll have to edit the code manually, the patch is for an older release. I just did this for the latest 2.0.x SVN and it worked fine.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I would just like to say that maps with bots generally are not well received, as bots really are more of a nuisance. The game play provided by them (with the currently available bots) is extremely poor. I know that I will not play on a map with bots, even if they are brought in (and allowed) by other players. Also, if the bot placement is to just bump you up the server list it is extremely frowned upon.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Server owners who run servers that are cheat servers ( publicly advertised or not ), use disruptive server modifications, use "bot" clients to artificially inflate their list position, or have disruptive or slanderous names or descriptions may be removed from the list and/or have access to other BZFlag public services revoked.
Source: http://my.bzflag.org/w/List_Server_Usage_Policy
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

I wasn't going to use them for an increase in server list position, they are/were going to be used as "cops" that protect certain areas, is that possible?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

So what you mean is you want to have a bot that patrols part of a map? like a police officer protects a city? I have never heard about that before, and I don't think it's fully possible. Just an idea, you could make a mesh that can make you go in but not come out, like a one-way wall, and have the team that the bot is (rogue) spawn in a zone and be stuck killing everyone inside...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

That's been mentioned as a use of the upgraded robots part of 3.