Using .obj files in a map

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Kasofa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Using .obj files in a map

Post by Kasofa1 »

Or more specifically, how can I find and use ModelTool to get my .obj files into the .bzw format.
Thanks!

-K
I can get a positive score; I just choose not to.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Using .obj files in a map

Post by Bambino »

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2698

That might help. You could search the wiki.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_daddy2 »

the problem is with a .obj file it uses 3 vertices instead of bzflag's usual 4, thus creating the created mesh to become oddly shaped and some faces are on one side and some on the other, once you acctualy have the .obj in mesh format you pretty much have to reverse every face in the vertices, i have yet to find a better way to do this but i dont care much anymore, i make my own stuff :P
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

big_daddy2 wrote:the problem is with a .obj file it uses 3 vertices instead of bzflag's usual 4, thus creating the created mesh to become oddly shaped and some faces are on one side and some on the other, once you acctualy have the .obj in mesh format you pretty much have to reverse every face in the vertices, i have yet to find a better way to do this but i dont care much anymore, i make my own stuff :P
This actually depends on your modeler. A bzflag mesh face can use more then 3 verts, and model tool supports OBJ faces with more then 3 (OBJ supports N as well). Some modelers don't check to see that all the verts in a face are planar, so you may see problems if they are not. Some modelers also don't care about face order, or surface normals, this too can have problems if the OBJ file does not conform to the method bzflag uses.

If you are using a 3d modeler to make meshes, it is a good thing to understand what you are doing, and what type of mesh your modeler generates.

When you define a mesh, you define ALL aspects of the object, unlike when you use a box or pyramid.
ImageJeffM