anim8or converting issues

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

anim8or converting issues

Post by Evanejk »

I made a map in anim8or, exported it to an obj file, and used modeltool to convert that into a bzflag map file (using the flip y and z feature).

For some reason when you drive the tank around, the text on the top of the screen flashes sealed and ready, making it so that sometimes when you shoot, you're sealed, so nothing happens.

Another minor problem is the scale is off, one "foot" in anim8or isn't one "foot" in bzflag. So if anybody knows the ratio of feet in anim8or to feet in bzflag when converting like this, it would be appreciated if you posted it.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: anim8or converting issues

Post by optic delusion »

sounds like you need to add some inside or outside tags to your object's vertices.

Your on your own figuring out the correct ratio to make the map fit the size you want.
Try exporting from anim8or to obj, then importing that into wings3d, and using it's export ratio feature. This could fix both of your problems. (louman used to use a similar process)
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: anim8or converting issues

Post by anomaly »

It sounds like your map isn't level. in other words, the flat parts of your map aren't flat. The Z coords are not exactly the same. I have had this issue before. One cause is the export function generating numbers like 2.614e-14 instead of 0.000. ( my fix is to have modeltool round the numbers to 3 decimal places, i.e. "%.3f" for the verts ) The best way to fix this is to make sure that the flat parts of your model are actually flat. Check the Z coord values, or in anim8or it may be the Y coords. Wings3d has a 'flatten' function, maybe anim8or has one to. In blender you can scale Z to zero to 'flatten' a selected area. You can try the Wings3d thing but that exporter does the same thing with floating point numbers.

As for scaling, 100 units in Wings3d or blender is 100 units in BZFlag. Don't think about feet or meters. But I think BZFlag units are meters, looking at some of the physics calculations. So in anim8or a single unit of measure "should" be a single unit in BZFlag too. Not sure how to help you there. When I make a 800x800 unit mesh in blender it exports and converts to 800x800 in BZFlag.