shoot/drive through

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

shoot/drive through

Post by lep »

This is a general question that I want to make sure I have right. If I want an object that you can enter into and shoot out of, but no be allowed to shoot in, do I only add drivethrough? Like a pyramid in MW?

Code: Select all

pyramid
position x y z
size x y z
rotation *
drivethrough
end
Just need a "correct" or an "incorrect." Thanks.
lep
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: shoot/drive through

Post by Bambino »

Correct...but, Missile War 2.3's drivethrough pyramids use meshes (not meshpyr) IIRC.
What you're doing will also work.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Thank you bam.

I, too am using meshes for a sample cube. And I have on more question.

My goal is to have a box that you can only get into by landing in it through its roof. And, when being inside it, you can shoot out all four sides/faces. But, I dont want to allow shots into the sides from the outside. I know if I add drivethrough I can shoot out but not in, but I dont want each individual side drivethrough. Just the top...

A bit confusing even for me but help is great either way.
lep
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

LL, make a simple mesh cube with drivethrough top. Then make another mesh cube about 0.01 smaller then the first one, sides inverted, shootthrought, no top. Put the smaller cube into the larger one. That should do it.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

ah perfect aw. you know im new to mapmaking. the purpose of this is to become familiar with meshes.

how/what is and inverted side, how do i implement it, and what does it do?

thank you
lep
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

mesh is technically a one-sided plane. It has texture on one side (also it's "solid" on one side). The other side is drive/shootthrough, and clear. In other words, there is no way to tell the mesh is there if you look at it from the "back".
i'm not sure about how to turn a mesh face around in Wings or blender, but in Sketch-up there is a simple-to-get-to command "reverse faces".

so in this case, the outside box will let the bullets out, but keep other bullets from coming in, while the inside box will keep the tank from diving out through the side. Drivethrough top of the box lets tanks in/out while keeping the shots (like GM, or if "_shotsKeepVerticalVelosity 1").

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Mesh talks more about the Mesh, and gives a couple examples that can be useful in the situation here.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Thanks AW. Im workin on such a simple mesh im almost embarrased :oops: but everyone has to learn at some point and i appreciate the help.

Thanks. I got it down
lep