How do you make a textured object drive through?

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

How do you make a textured object drive through?

Post by Propane Tank »

How do you make the texture drive through? I have the box drive through, but what you land on it, you get stuck and can't turn, jump, move, or anything. I am trying to make a swimming pool on my new rabit hunt map, but I can't get the water drive through. And is it possible to make the texture transparent?
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Re: How do you make a textured object drive through?

Post by blast »

You don't make a "texture" drive through. You make the object drive through, and apply the material to that object. Isolate the object you are trying to make drive through in a new map file along with the material and anything else directly related to it. If that works, then something else in your map is wrong.

As for making a texture transparent, there are a couple ways to do that. First, if you only want certain parts of a texture to be transparent, you should use the alpha channel in your image editing program. If you want the entire object/side to be partially transparent, you should adjust the material. A little searching can go a long way...

How to make an object partially transparent:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... nt#p142174
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Propane Tank wrote:How do you make the texture drive through? I have the box drive through, but what you land on it, you get stuck and can't turn, jump, move, or anything. I am trying to make a swimming pool on my new rabit hunt map, but I can't get the water drive through. And is it possible to make the texture transparent?

is it a textured box or meshbox?

I have submitted a bug to sf.

when a box is textured its not really drivethrough, use a meshbox. it should clear that up.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

ahs3 wrote: is it a textured box or meshbox?

I have submitted a bug to sf.

when a box is textured its not really drivethrough, use a meshbox. it should clear that up.
I am not very good with meshes, and they seem really hard to build.

This may be a little off topic, but is it possible to take out team flags in CTF. I want only a green flag to show up and the red and blue flags to not show up.
Here is what I have in my config:
-f B* -f R*
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The -f only prevents random flags (ones specified with -s and +s) from spawning. It does not prevent mandatory flags (such as team flags, or those added with +f) from spawning. You'd probably have to modify the bzfs code to prevent a team flag from spawning. The other option would be to place the other team flag in a flag spawn zone on an object far out of reach of the players.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Sounds like the hold-the-flag HTF, plugin... maybe steal the bacon. I don't know. Hiding the unwanted flags way up high will be easiest, use the zoneflag option in your zone.
zone
position x y z
zoneflag B* R*
end

Meshes are easy if you use a 3-d editor.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Thanks for that. Now the flags are outa play. Is it possible to make a green flag appear is a green tank isn't there? My guess is no, but if it is possible, I would like to know how to do it. What is a good 3-d editor? Will BZ Work Bench work. I think that might do meshes. I'll look and see. I have it on my laptop.
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Propane Tank wrote:Is it possible to make a green flag appear is a green tank isn't there? My guess is no, but if it is possible, I would like to know how to do it.
Same kind of thing as what you asked before... you would need to modify BZFS.
Propane Tank wrote:What is a good 3-d editor? Will BZ Work Bench work. I think that might do meshes. I'll look and see. I have it on my laptop.
I do not think that BZWorkBench has any way of editing meshes once they are in, except maybe by changing the code by hand. You want a 3D Modeler such as Wings3D or Blender.

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I do not think that BZWorkBench has any way of editing meshes once they are in, except maybe by changing the code by hand. You want a 3D Modeler such as Wings3D or Blender.
Can't you make a mesh in BZ Workbench? I don't have meshes in the map, but I was advised to make a mesh for the water on my Rabbit Chase map.
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No, you cannot. It is not a 3D Modeler.

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

You can make mesh pyramids and mesh boxes. I just looked before posting this. Isn't this your app Blast? You should know what you implemented into your own app.
-Propane Tank
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Propane Tank wrote:You can make mesh pyramids and mesh boxes. I just looked before posting this. Isn't this your app Blast? You should know what you implemented into your own app.
BZWorkbench is not Blast's. It was mainly coded by jude as part of GSoC, and is still in ongoing development by whomever wants to work on it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mesh pyramids and mesh boxes are not the same as a "mesh". :roll:

And yes, jude worked on it first, and then Will07c5 (William Hahne) did more on it.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

BZWorkbench has never been specked to be a full 3d modeler, at most it will let you import a mesh and place it in the world. It will not let you make them from scratch. There are better apps out there to do that.
ImageJeffM
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Propane Tank wrote:You can make mesh pyramids and mesh boxes. I just looked before posting this. Isn't this your app Blast? You should know what you implemented into your own app.
A mesh box and mesh pyramid are relatively simple meshes that mimic what regular boxes and pyramids do, with some added 'mesh' features. At MOST they have 8 points that are easily calculated, that is way different than a full fledged mesh editor...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln