Triangular-based maps

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Triangular-based maps

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I've noticed over the years that there are several mapmakers (Spazzy Mcgee, to name one) who have made maps that heavily focus on triangles and similar shapes and angles. I am considering making a triangular-based map and wondered if you had any tips or techniques you used.

Thanks.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Triangular-based maps

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I think the easiest way to do it (and the way I do it) is to start by making the outer shape, for example a triangle, in wings. Then I build up one third of the map in a corner, and group all of the objects I used. I then duplicate that group twice - once with a rotation of 120 degrees, and next with a rotation of 240 degrees. This gives perfect symmetry in three directions.

This will work for any number of sides to a symmetrical map. Just rotate your groups by a different angle each time.

If you then need to place specific things that can't go in groups, like zones, you need to use trig. But it's nothing very difficult if you take a pen and paper to it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

would making a hollow arc with 3 divisions work for the outside as well?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

triangle.bzw
triangle mofo by l4m3r
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
I suppose that a hollow arc would work, but i wouldn't recommend it. If you do use one, do your math very thoroughly. 360 does not divide by pi evenly and you end up with tiny slivers of open area where you don't want them. Through experience, I can tell you that the problem becomes little areas where flags and tanks can spawn, and you don't want. Players find these spots, and drop the team flag in them. Now the teamflag is hidden.
Using a mesh, you can place your outside points in the exact point you desire. A mesh will also make it easier to make the invisible pyramid outside the play area, to prevents spawn there.

Here is a Map that L4M3R made back in 2006, you might take a look at it. He worked out the math quite well.
triangle.bzw
triangle mofo by l4m3r
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

why are you dividing 360 by pi?
oh the circumference is 2πr and divide that by 120º... ah.
huh.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Any arc you use will use pi in it's formula. If you use pi to calculate the inside/outside dimensions of your arc, you could eliminate the slivers. These small slivers may not appear until you group the inside portions of your corners, and shift them around. In other words, a group that looks good in one corner may not rotate into another corner perfectly.
Remember, bzfs discards anything beyond four decimal places. At first that may seem like it makes your job easier, but in fact it's harder. Making a seemingly unrelated change in one portion, may change the calculation of another corner of your triangles.

If you do some algebra on your outside arc, from the start, you should be OK.
If you are not planning on CTF, all these concerns are lessened.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Just be sure to overestimate all of your figures, and you'll tend to be fine.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon