Augmented Meshes - HELP!

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Augmented Meshes - HELP!

Post by Spectre »

Okay.
I have a mesh in a roughly cubical shape. However, there are angled surfaces that tanks cannot drive on. I was wondering if I could do something like what was done in the highway map I saw: another mesh (or in my case boxes, possibly) roughly following the shape of the first object, but is invisible but flat, therefore allowing tanks to drive on it. My question, however, is whether or not this will allow tanks to rotate into them, even if they cannot drive straight in. Should I use boxes for the outside, or will that not solve my problem? Will another mesh roughly following the contours, but still flat, with inside points do the trick?
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Augmented Meshes - HELP!

Post by Cobra_Fast »

I quiete didn't understand your problem, but from what i got i'd suggest (but i dont know if it would help):

You could do that escalator thing; Pushing tanks up the surface by physics drivers.
You could set _noClimb to 0 to allow tanks jumping up.
You could make single mesh faces driveThrough to allow tanks do drive inside.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, you might try explaining it again. I will attempt an answer anyway.

You have a complex object, and it's top is slightly less than perfectly level, meaning tanks cant properly drive on it. The answer is drawinfo.
Take your complex object and use modeltool to convert it to drawinfo. Then make a simple object that uses an invisible material and occupies approximately the same volume of space. The tanks drive on the simple object but the display shows the complex one.
Modeltool is NOT hard to use. If you can make an object in obj format, you can make drawinfo.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

Okay, take 2.
My mesh is basically cubical, but complex and angled so that tanks cannot drive on it. I need some way to still display this mesh, but allow tanks to think they are driving on it. Shall I use inside points and an invisible mesh, invisible meshbox objects, or OD's modeltool solution?
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Use an invisible, simpler mesh that completely covers your complex mesh, and include at least one inside point. It should closely approximate the size and shape of the original.
If the visible portion is an extremely complex mesh, like over 500 vertices, you should consider converting it to drawinfo. Since tanks and shots will not be interacting with this portion, you may as well exclude it from collision detection. In my opinion, it becomes critical to drawinfo convert a mesh as it approaches 3000 vertices. Drawinfo uses about 1/3 the resources as regular meshes.

Here is a good invisible material. Not sure if ALL of these options are necessary, or maybe there are others I could add, but these work for me. (trying to make it display as fast as possible)

Code: Select all

material 
name invisible 
diffuse 0 0 0 0 
noculling 
noradar 
noshadow 
nosorting 
nolighting 
groupalpha 
end
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.