CTF with 1 Flag

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

CTF with 1 Flag

Post by zaphod »

well its about the upcoming "Bzf World Cup" event and trying to combine soccer/football on a ducati map.
discussing about the soccer idea to be a big part of this event and that the "real" game is played with only one ball on the field brought us to the idea of a CTF with only one flag ... (and certainly should be tested before using it).

but how could it be made with a random ducati map to have a Red and a Green base with only one Flag spawning in the center?
(any color, without needing an extra player to make it spawn.)

THX in advance for any input!

Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: CTF with 1 Flag

Post by Yrogirg »

Maybe to make bases like in Aztec ballcourt. Only tank with tiny flag can cap, and size of tiny tank can be just slightly smaller than normal. With very large _maxFlagGrabs tiny flag will behave like teamflag --- will stay the position it was dropped so people could fight for it.

The base can be surrounded by fence of columns, so only tiny tank can pass between them.

BTW, is there a way to make surface which will accelerate tanks? So apply constant acceleration (force) to a tank, not just velocity. I was trying to combine linear and slide, but that don't work.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I think the best way is to mod bzfs to only allow one flag to spawn. I think getting it to spawn at 0 0 0 much like a soccer game then having the teams rush to the center.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

With the fence of columns, I would assume that you would have to either self-destruct at the beginning (since you cannot fit in there) or just use a plugin that sets you not at your base right from the start. The Tiny idea works pretty well, I believe you only have to shrink the tank by 0.1 bzunit to make enough difference of fitting into a hole just large enough. I think with the fencing, you should turn it into a net looking object to support the true Soccer idea.

I like this idea very much, actually I wanted to suggest it, but since it sounded like it was going to be a normal ducati match, I thought it'd be better not to, but looks like you guys really are considering it! (Bah, too many commas, hooray for run ons...)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Will the HTF plugin help for this? Or is it different than what you want.
I like Yrigirg's Idea of using a tiny flag, and some kind of grid in front of the goal that would only allow tiny tanks to pass. This also gives the flag carrier an advantage.
Exactly what to do about Teamkill will be a question.
Spazzy McGee might have some ideas in this area. He was talking about a plugin not too long ago.....
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

thank you guys for all your great & constructive input!!!
ahs3 and i will do some brainstorming this weekend to come up with some good ideas to make this work and rock n'roll.
thanks again!!!

zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

just some thinking added :::
i like the "tiny-flag idea" too! but now the famous "but" :::
i think the capping itself would be to hard! just one player would be enough to take that entry under fire and make it almost impossible to cap.
the strategy would be just changed ::: instead of a player defending the team-flag, he/she would just guard the entry.
but the goal is an offensive play-style with that one flag to get and to avoid any strategic "camping".

::: anyone else an idea how to solve this CToneF? ::: (with a BIG thx in advance!)

Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

i think the capping itself would be to hard! just one player would be enough to take that entry under fire and make it almost impossible to cap.
I think you misunderstood the fence concept. Here is the sample ducati football map. World object has freeCtfSpawns
option that prevents from spawning on base even when joining (at least on 2.0.16 it is so). And there is an invisible box above the bases to prevent tiny flag staying on the base after capping (be sure there is no -fb option).

The tinyFactor is 0.85.
Attachments
screenshotDF.jpg
(644.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DucFootball.bzw
(7.2 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

exzellent Yrogirg!
yes i was fixed on the "Aztec ballcourt" map itself with the small entry ... but now i see!!!!
would you accept that i take your map and do some "online testing" in hosting your map as it is?
good input ::: thanks!

Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

sure you can host it. I I've just downloaded some random duc map from one of the servers and slightly changed it so it's in public domain anyway. Btw, maybe it worth making spikes a bit wider, reduce and the number of gaps between them to have tinyFactor 0.9.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I think _tinyFactor should be a bit smaller, give the guy who's brave enough to carry the ONE flag a bit of an advantage. Maybe .7.
This is a critical decision, hard to change the map later, just for a tiny change.
I wanted this change on Aztec Ball Court too.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

on second thought.... it will be easy to LOWER tinyfactor.

Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

btw, burrow can be used instead of tiny with _burrowDepth -0.05 or so (and _burrowSpeedAd 1 _burrowAngularAd 1). Without jumping (and squishing) only BU can pass under certain horizontal beam. The drawback is I don't know how to get rid of radar sizing effect of BU flag.

or, but BU tank, unlike tiny, can be flattened. This may slightly change gamestyle.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

the map is now worked over completely (again) but still represents a "mockup" for testing the concept!

from what i got as player-input so far ::: most player like that "new" play-style!
but the BIG problem is that most of them just don't get it and wonder what they shall do with that tiny flag. some grab it and drive over to the enemy base and trying to bring their flag back home. others just shoot around because they tried (without the T flag) to get on a base without success and think that there is no capping possible and most just ask over and over what the point is and how to cap ... and i still wonder why no one ever reads the welcome message ;)

therefore i believe the only way to make this work and be understood by everybody is to make a plugin or moding the server that a team-flag of a non used team will be used and that the bases a clear to cap without obstacles.

anyway if you want to test&see for yourself :::
001.bzflag.fr:5156 - testing ::: Capture The ONE Flag ::: Duc-Style

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I completely forgot about Steal The Bacon! Looks like a bzfs mod is in order...
and i still wonder why no one ever reads the welcome message
People are lazy and they want to play, not read. Funny how someone will start tking or swearing and your either tell them to stop or kick them and they "didn't know it was against the rules".

The -srvmsg is your warning! ;)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague