Water Death

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Water Death

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Hey I'm pretty new to map making (and forums for that matter - so if these questions have been posted elsewhere just refer me there please) but I have sketched out an idea for a map but it would need a river going from one corner to the other. It would basically be like the river in Channel Crossing or Japanese Castles only not side to side. I have a few questions about this -

1. I'm also new to Blender so I'm not sure how to make a river in it - would there be any way to make it in Wings? I'm much more acclimated to that and it is, well, simpler than Blender.

2. How do you make tanks die on impact to the water?
Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Water Death

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Never mind - I experimented around in Wings and managed to make a river with little difficulty and have looked around the forums and found a way to make tanks die when they touch an object.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

BZFlag also has a map object called waterLevel used like this:

Code: Select all

waterLevel
height 1
end
This will create deadly water throughout the entire map at 1 Z.

You can then make all your map objects above that so tanks don't die, but the river moat at 0 Z so the water appears.
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

Also, another thing a lot of mapmakers tend to do is make the Water non-lethal and drivethrough, but then give the the floor beneath the water a death tag . This avoids the odd feeling of bouncing off the surface of the water when you die, by letting you "sink" underwater, and then explode. The only drawback is that a player can still go partially underwater without dying, but the difference is minuscule.
McSpider
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by McSpider »

Strakowski wrote:Also, another thing a lot of mapmakers tend to do is make the Water non-lethal and drivethrough, but then give the the floor beneath the water a death tag . This avoids the odd feeling of bouncing off the surface of the water when you die, by letting you "sink" underwater, and then explode. The only drawback is that a player can still go partially underwater without dying, but the difference is minuscule.
You can also apply a physics driver of -Z to your water mesh/box, that way the tank will explode then sink without bouncing off.
McSpider - BZFlag Maps
Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

Thanks for all the ideas! :) I have yet to decide which method I will use. I keep hitting bumps but I'm getting there!