Water waves.

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Water waves.

Post by Yrogirg »

Is there a drawinfo example with water waves? I think some of the anomaly's maps have this feature, but I can't find them.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Water waves.

Post by optic delusion »

I would search this forum for the word "normandy", then download some maps and search through them, pull out the water code, then post that. But i'm too lazy for that.
I'm sure there are excellent examples of waves in other maps, if you look around. Jefenry comes to mind. Looking at the materials will guide you to the object you want.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

The wave effect basically is a giant circular mesh with "wavy" surface made spinning around its center. If you then hide the center of that mesh you will have rough sea. Also make sure to have some mirror ground underneath it for more of an effect :)
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

My drawinfo waves are simply a large flat, doughnut shaped mesh that is centered outside of the map. The mesh is wavy and I turn the mesh itself in one direction and use a texturematrix to spin the texture in the opposite direction. That way it looks like the water's "foam" is generally standing still but the waves are making it rise and fall. I like using pyrwall.png as the water texture since it's a little darker than water.png.