Bzworkbench on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10)

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bzworkbench on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by fox in the fog »

I'm on a Linux Operating System, exactly on Ubuntu Maverick 10.10, and on the BZExcess website (http://bzexcess.com/2009/11/bzworkbench ... /#more-250) I saw that there is the installing procedure of Bzworkbench on Ubuntu 9.04 There is written the installing procedure is similar on all the Ubuntu versions... But on the latest Ubuntu version doesn't work. The first command ( sudo aptitude install subversion g++ libopenscenegraph-dev libfltk1.1-dev ) isn't exact because with "aptitude" doesn't work, it work only with "apt-get" so: sudo apt-get install subversion g++ libopenscenegraph-dev libfltk1.1-dev
after this command, that worked, I copy-past the second command: svn co https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... workbench/ bzworkbench and all work correctly. After this, the other commands are not working... these are the commands:

Then we will change directory into the Debug folder:

cd bzworkbench/Debug

Then we will start the build process:

make

Once this is done, there should not be any error messages showing. Of course, if there is, you’ll have to determine why. Or you could ask on the BZFlag forum or the BZFlag IRC channel for assistance.

We should then be able to change directory into the root of the source:

cd ..

Then we can run the binary using this command:

./Debug/bzworkbench

What wrong? Is possible that on Ubuntu 10.10 these commands are incorrect?
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Bzworkbench on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Before running make one usually run a script like "configure" or "autoconfig" to generate the configuration files for make. But this might not be applying to BZWB.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My blog article is over a year old. The build system for BZWorkBench changed since then. You have to build it similar to BZFlag now where you run autogen.sh, configure, and then make.

Also, you can install aptitude (I always do) via apt-get install aptitude.

So, do this:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make

I'm not sure where it dumps the binary, but you'd run it something like this:
./src/bzworkbench

That way the "current working directory" is the root of the source checkout, so it can find the data files.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

The current instructions for building BZWorkbench are in the file named INSTALL, located in the top-level bzworkbench directory. I just updated that in the Subversion repository, so a svn update command will get it for you (revision 21364).
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Sorry blast, but the terminal said that the ./autogen.sh and ./configure are files or directory non-existent... :(
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I clearly see an autogeh.sh file here:
https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... workbench/
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Change your current working directory to the one named bzworkbench, where files such as autogen.sh exist. After you do that, the commands will be found.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

no, sorry Bullet catcher, nothing work correctly... It seems to me that the command are similar to Debian OS, because the commands are for an older Ubuntu version more similar to Debian. With times the commands will be update to the recent ubuntu versions... now i have not enough patient to try to make the commands work :D
Thanks all! :P
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you don't have the patience to try, why bother asking for help?

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I don't want to bother, but if someone have the patient to try to make the command right, because he don't have anything to do at the moment, or someone have already adjust the command... why I can't ask on the forums where there are (i don't know how many) more than 5000 people?
And, I'm not so lazy, i have tried and tried also with one my friend minimum 3 hours...but in vain
but, if I'm bother I will try to be more... independent and i will pretended to be satisfied even if i'm not :)
all
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by all »

This worked for me (on Debian Squeeze):

Code: Select all

svn co https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bzflag/trunk/bzworkbench

cd bzworkbench/

./autogen.sh

./configure --prefix $HOME

make

src/bzworkbench
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Hm... I'm happy for you :D but I don't think this will work for ubuntu 10.10, never seen a thing like: --prefix $HOME. I have to try... However I think i'm gonna reboot and use bzworkbench under windows... isn't cool i know, but... :) thanks !
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There is no recent version of BZWorkBench compiled for Windows, so have fun with your old version.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Who said anything about the new version of BZWorkbench? Yeah, I have fun don't worry, BZWorkbech under windows work well. :D