Sphere

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Foooey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sphere

Post by Foooey »

I see in the wiki there is an example of a sphere, are there any known issues when implementing a spehere(s) in a map ?

cheers foo
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Sphere

Post by FangUp »

BZWiki is wrong a lot of times. This is Wiki example:

sphere
name example_sphere
divisions 4
flatshading
hemisphere
position 0 0 10
size 10 10 10
radius 10
rotation 0
shift 0 0 0
scale 0 0 0
shear 0 0 0
spin angle nx ny nz
phydrv example_phydrv
smoothbounce
matref example_material
end

This is INCORRECT!!

Here is the correct stuff made by me:

sphere
name Sphere
divisions 4
position 0 0 100
size 40 40 40
end

Well, do not think that wiki is a bad thing, it is just good to make sure at others (:
Have Fun!
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the wiki shows the FULL set of options for a sphere, it is not incorrect since it is not a sample but a diagram showing all the options. Most uses only need a subset of these options.

If there is an error ( an option that does not exist) then you should mention it specifically so it can be fixed, rather then simply saying that a sphere only supports 4 options.
ImageJeffM
Foooey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Foooey »

jeff i did get an error message when using the example in the wiki first time- (though this may say more about my abillity) - however i will run the same again and seei f get the same errror messages - then you can see see if its an error of my own or something other

peace
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Belive me JeffM, try to fill out the spots, go ahead, it will not work.
Even if you delete or radius or size (radius = round ball) it will not work. Why did you think i posted this?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The item in the wiki can not be use unmodified, you must specify values for some of the items. Also you usually don't want a hemisphere. It is simply showing every option that can be used, many with invalid inputs to indicate what the value is, it is not an example it is a reference guide.

for example
spin angle nx ny nz
will never work.
Angle Nx Ny and NZ need to be numeric values. but if the sample had used them it would have been
spin 0 0 0 0
and that is not informative since you would not know what each number means since there are 4.

Also 0 is not valid for some options, such as Scale.

That being said, I think the format of that specific article is poor and not very descriptive, but it is not wrong.

---
FangUp, I think you posted this because you are very excited, like to post, and do not fully understand what you are doing in this case or what the item on the wiki is. It is NOT a "paste this in and it will draw" type of example, it is a reference guide.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Here is the wiki reference done as an example with valid values.

http://www.awesomelaser.com/bz/examples ... le_map.txt

Code: Select all

material
 name example_material
 color 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
end

physics
 name example_phydrv
 linear  0.0 0.0 0.0  # x/y/z linear velocities
end

sphere
 name example_sphere
 divisions 4
 flatshading
 hemisphere
 position 0 0 10
 size 10 10 10
 radius 10
 rotation 5
 shift 0 4 0
 scale 1 1 1
 shear 0 0 1
 spin 45 1 0 0
 phydrv example_phydrv
 smoothbounce
 matref example_material
end
As you can see it is perfectly correct with valid numeric values.
ImageJeffM
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

FangUp wrote:BZWiki is wrong a lot of times.
BZWiki is quite never wrong, maybe in some posts is a bit too difficult as it explain things in a too much superficial way or in a too much difficult manner for almost all normal computer users (remember that i'm not English or American so it's only because of the language, and so it isn't a good criticism... However in some spots is a bit strange o_0)
Trepan is a developer. He is smarter then you. He doesn't take crap from you. No he won't tell you how to make your map.
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

I haven't seen spheres used much in maps, usually they are just for eye candy. Mostly they only look pretty.. I have seen that some people make the drive through so it is kinda like a safe zone.
Some issues are that the rico off it is a bit random and hard to use, but if you are smart I guess it could be of use.
Also you cannot really use it to jump on to higher things like you can use pyramids. So they kinda just waste space.
I have also heard scattered reports of nausea and vomiting, I suggest you consult your doctor to see if spheres are right for you.
So basically they look pretty but are not very playable.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

I am sorry to say this but i hope you did not get me wrong, JeffM, i did exacly what you said and it worked in 2.4 (previous version) but now in 2.4 it does not. Looks like i am the only one that had this problem and should not post this, my bad. But can you tell me, why did it work in 2.0, but in 2.4 it does not for me?
Plus you said: "FangUp, I think you posted this because you are very excited, like to post, and do not fully understand what you are doing in this case or what the item on the wiki is. It is NOT a "paste this in and it will draw" type of example, it is a reference guide." <-- That is axualy not true. I PMed him due to this trouble because i though he had it too.
And to tell you what kind of problem i have lets say this shows up in my Terminal when i do like you said: "unknown command "spin angle" -- skipping."
And it does that for EVERY thing exept this:

sphere
name Sphere
divisions 4
position 0 0 100
size 40 40 40
end

So help ME why?
Plus i DID NEVER say it is all copy paste -.-
And, may i ask you one more thing? Is the "smoothbounce" the same as "-set _noClimb 0" ?
Do not get me wrong, I tough he had the same issue like me so i tried to help him in that way.
Plus, there must be a second "end" in that code. Between "phydrv example_phydrv" and "smoothbounce". The Terminal needs another "end" but when i make Everything like you said, it finds a random mistake and says this: "a base for Red Team was not specified."
It had Nothing to do with Red Team base.
So help me please?
Again, i did not say you and wiki are wrong, only i had this problem. Have*
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

FangUp wrote:BZWiki is wrong a lot of times. This is Wiki example:
This is INCORRECT!!

Here is the correct stuff made by me
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

FangUp wrote:Plus, there must be a second "end" in that code. Between "phydrv example_phydrv" and "smoothbounce". The Terminal needs another "end" but when i make Everything like you said, it finds a random mistake and says this: "a base for Red Team was not specified."
It had Nothing to do with Red Team base.
You can't run a CTF style server without team bases...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)