Night textures

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Night textures

Post by Agent West »

Is it possible to make textures that change when it becomes 'night time' on a map?
So far the only thing that changes is lighting.

I guess one way is to have basically a timed 'slideshow' of textures on every surface, but the timing might be a bit tricky, would be better if it ran off server time that positions the 'sun' in the 'sky'.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Night textures

Post by JeffM »

Changing the texture no, changing the color with dynamic colors yes.
ImageJeffM
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

It'll still have to get timed manually though, right?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yes, you would have to get it synced up.
ImageJeffM
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Ok. Thanks for the help.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I think this is definitely possible with ridiculously long timing (period) of an alpha channel sequence in a pair of dynamic colors. Similar to the MoFo billboards.
However, clients determine the day/night time, not servers, so you never know when the player's client will be in day or night.
Now.. If you also used dyncols on a sky dome....
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Optic Delusion wrote:However, clients determine the day/night time, not servers, so you never know when the player's client will be in day or night.
These two options exist for bzfs. Paired up with a proper _latitude/_longitude setting, wouldn't they allow that to work?

Code: Select all

-synctime: synchronize time of day on all clients
-synclocation: synchronize latitude and longitude on all clients
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

But couldn't the client then change their "time of day" using '+/-" defeating the -synctime ?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

in my experience, I've never gotten -synctime to work. I even tried tricks that I saw Trepan use, (when I used /saveworld on his maps), like -synctime 7777.
-synclocation is new to me. Is it new to 2.4 ? I always set -latitude and -longitude.
If someone does get this to work, I'd be interested to know the trick that i couldn't figure out. Maybe it was just that I missed -synclocation.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

joevano wrote:But couldn't the client then change their "time of day" using '+/-" defeating the -synctime ?
From what I understand, when the server has -synctime, the client cannot control the time of day.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)