Different Things

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Corporeal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Different Things

Post by Corporeal »

With this Topic, I want to ask a few questions about what accures when making your Map and Server.
Please, share your ideas.

1.) Problem Error

When you try to run a .bzfs file, something goes wrong. You did not input the right things and something does not match up, so the server does not start. That if fully understandable, you did something wrong, but one thing is not.
Many times, not only for me, when you do something wrong, this shows up: "A Base for >color< Team was not specified."
The catch is, that this has nothing to do with the team bases. Even if you do a FFA style, without a "-c" command for CTF, this Will show up.
It is just a thing I wanted to mention.

2.) Server handling the "/set" command in-game

As said, an Admin can set different things in-game through the /set command, or in .bzfs file through the -set command.
The thing is, that if you set this in .bzfs, nothing wrong will happen.
However, if you do this in-game a few times, the Server gets "confused".

Example:
A player cannot kill another player, and while trying to, a .bzfs file seen as Console/Terminal shows something like this: "The EndShot limit for >player< was incorrect."

My question, why cant the Server handle the /set command in-game?
This does not occure only to me, but to everyone doing so.

That is all for now, thanks.
You see me, but do not bother. I will not take my time for you, unless you earned it. Now show me, just how Pathetic you are.
blast
General
General

Re: Different Things

Post by blast »

Corporeal wrote:With this Topic, I want to ask a few questions about what accures when making your Map and Server.
Please, share your ideas.

1.) Problem Error

When you try to run a .bzfs file, something goes wrong. You did not input the right things and something does not match up, so the server does not start. That if fully understandable, you did something wrong, but one thing is not.
Many times, not only for me, when you do something wrong, this shows up: "A Base for >color< Team was not specified."
The catch is, that this has nothing to do with the team bases. Even if you do a FFA style, without a "-c" command for CTF, this Will show up.
It is just a thing I wanted to mention.
That error only occurs if -c is specified. The -c option can be specified in multiple areas: the command line, the configuration file, or even inside the map file itself. I'm betting in your case it was specified in the map file (within the 'options' block).
Corporeal wrote:2.) Server handling the "/set" command in-game

As said, an Admin can set different things in-game through the /set command, or in .bzfs file through the -set command.
The thing is, that if you set this in .bzfs, nothing wrong will happen.
However, if you do this in-game a few times, the Server gets "confused".

Example:
A player cannot kill another player, and while trying to, a .bzfs file seen as Console/Terminal shows something like this: "The EndShot limit for >player< was incorrect."

My question, why cant the Server handle the /set command in-game?
This does not occure only to me, but to everyone doing so.

That is all for now, thanks.
Because the game is buggy. Doing a /reset * will fix it without needing to restart the server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Corporeal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Corporeal »

Hi Blast.

1st thing, no, even if "-c" is not specified that also happens, said that in post pretty clearly.

2nd, when you use /reset, all the /set changes reset, but if the player already cannot kill, it will be unable to kill even if /reset is used.
EndShot Limit still occures.

So basicaly.... it is exactly different as you said.
Tested both just now.

Thanks.
You see me, but do not bother. I will not take my time for you, unless you earned it. Now show me, just how Pathetic you are.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Looking at the code, and going by personal experience, it only occurs when -c is specified somewhere. If you can prove otherwise, be my guest.

Code: Select all

if (clOptions->gameType == ClassicCTF) {
      for (int i = RedTeam; i <= PurpleTeam; i++) {
        if ((clOptions->maxTeam[i] > 0) && bases.find(i) == bases.end()) {
          std::cerr << "base was not defined for "
                    << Team::getName((TeamColor)i)
                    << std::endl;
          return false;
        }
      }
    }}
As for doing /reset *, that's always worked for me in the past. But I suppose there might be instances where a rejoin would still be necessary. The problem with doing /set in-game is that some BZDB variables reference other variables, and I imagine somewhere it doesn't update everything properly.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Corporeal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Corporeal »

Hmm.
Well, I do not know how to prove that, I will just keep away from mistakes. :)

As for being unable to kill, if you rejoin, you are able to kill again, however, someone else is unable to kill when you switch.

What we learned:
1.) If there is a mistake, find it by yourself (in a positive way)
2.) Only -set in .bzfs

Cheers and thx for your time, blast.