Goxel editor

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Goxel editor

Post by yarro »

A new open source editor (to me anyway) Goxel.
It makes voxel cubes and exports in object format and looks like a natural for BZFlag but I haven't tested in much yet.
I quickly made a very nice terrain tho by just scribbling with it.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Goxel editor

Post by Zehra »

Here's a link to the website, if I am not mistaken: guillaumechereau.github.io/goxel
I have seen some maps made which used a similar style and have considered creating one which could generate maps with a voxel theme.
My main concerns would be on how 'well' these maps would handle, as I assume they would possibly end up being laggy and jittery.
This is based on some experiments I've done and from what I've heard/read about within the forums and servers.
Still, the possibility of voxel maps is something I would look into closely.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yarro »

I'm no expert but speed has to do with the number of poygon meshes.
So I guess don't make too many voxels.
I built a level that was based on subdivisions of the standard layout on x,y axis and z axis was a jumping height so looks a lot like a voxel map you might build with this.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I was able to find a thread which should be able to provide some insights: Box Vs Mesh

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yarro »

My insight is that if you need a box or a mesh then output the voxel to that format, as voxels are cpu intensive as they run trig functions.
The Goxel app creates a boxy minecraft experience any way so save to the obj format and convert to mesh or use wings to convert obj to bzworld.
I may have missed somethig as I don't have a phd in computer science or graphics programming. :D
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Many export formats

Goxel can export to obj, pyl, magica voxel, png, qubicle, povray, and more.
From the project website, it supports exporting to OBJ. Take that OBJ, open it up in Wings 3D, export it to a .bzw. (or use modeltool) It's possible to use this to create bz maps.

With regards to lag, as mentioned in the post linked, it really depends on the number of faces the client needs to draw. So if you have a significantly high number of boxes, then it'll introduce lag. If you have significantly complicated meshes with a lot of faces, then it'll introduce lag. Really, just give it a try and see how much you can do before it becomes unplayable.
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yarro »

Which is what I thought I just said. :)