meshbox / box & meshbox / teleport links

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

meshbox / box & meshbox / teleport links

Post by mathiaz »

I use simple meshbox:

meshbox
position 0 -290 0
size 300 10 1
matref wall
shootthrough
end
material
name wall
color 0.000000f 0.000000f 0.000000f 0.7
end

- meshbox/box :
when the ground/stair is made of mixed tiles, box next to meshbox, tank can t drive from one to the other

-meshox/teleport:

when i put a teleport on it, it doesnt work. Tank is stuck in teleport.

Do i need to add some option in material or meshbox blocs.

Thanks
<°)))><|
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: meshbox / box & meshbox / teleport links

Post by tainn »

Both of the issues you are describing are tied to meshboxes; they are annoyingly buggy.

The meshbox/box scenario you are describing also applies to meshbox/meshbox. Even though they are of the same height, the tank will get virtually stuck.

Teleports are also affected, where one is forced to jump into the teleport a lot of times in order to pass it, as they get stuck trying to drive into it from a meshbox.

There is no real way to avoid this other than creating your map differently / adjusting it just in order to prevent these scenarios. Either don't let meshboxes meet on the same height and/or put teleports on normal boxes.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

mathiaz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 pm - meshbox/box :
when the ground/stair is made of mixed tiles, box next to meshbox, tank can t drive from one to the other
This is a known issue and is caused by the inconsistency of the handling of '1.0' and '2.0' objects. (Non-mesh and mesh objects.)
There is a few tricks which can be done, such as having boxes hidden under the mesh or simply converting the entire map to mesh objects.
Depending on exactly what you are trying to do, the solution may vary quite a bit.
The following threads should provide some insights: Can't drive on a meshbox... only if I jump over it, _maxBumpHeight and meshes... and Physics: Linear - Cannot drive on.
mathiaz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 pm -meshox/teleport:

when i put a teleport on it, it doesnt work. Tank is stuck in teleport.
This is a known issue with mesh and teleporter objects.
One way to work around the situation is by raising or lowering the objects slightly. (Generally the teleporter is adjusted in most cases.)
(You may also wish to adjust the height slightly for this purpose as well from the object adjusted.)
The following threads should provide some insights: Teleports and links?, Teleporter Help, Teleporter problems, help with teleporters
tainn wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm Both of the issues you are describing are tied to meshboxes; they are annoyingly buggy.
The issue is actually tied to how BZFlag handles mesh and non-mesh objects differently.
tainn wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm The meshbox/box scenario you are describing also applies to meshbox/meshbox. Even though they are of the same height, the tank will get virtually stuck.
It also applies to meshes in a few cases, see the following thread: Weird mesh bug...I think.
tainn wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm Teleports are also affected, where one is forced to jump into the teleport a lot of times in order to pass it, as they get stuck trying to drive into it from a meshbox.
This occurs with mesh objects as well, and not just simply meshboxes, but usually some form of a workaround is done and the effect is not seen.
Additionally the client version itself can affect if one is able to drive-through a teleporter.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

Thanks for your answers.

I put the teleporter on a box.
The box tile is little higher (0.1) than meshbox, so it s possible to pass from one to the other.
<°)))><|