Blender vs Wings

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Blender vs Wings

Post by ClayOgre »

It seems like most people who are doing custom meshes are using Wings. I am curious, why Wings? I have fiddled with Blender a bit, I admit the UI in Blender is somewhat daunting. I looked at the export function, and it does export in .obj format...is this still compatible with modeltool?

Are they both equally capable and it is just a matter of personal preference? What about unit conversion between Wings/Blender and BZ units?

I can get Blender to run in Linux, but have had no success with Wings, tho I have installed it in my windoze partition. Personally, I'd rather be able to do things all in one OS without switching back and forth. There is no Wings pacakage available for my distro and source compile was a bust.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

The wings download isn't distro dependant, afaik:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wing ... n?download
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

No Workee....

Post by ClayOgre »

I downloaded it and gave it a shot. Alas, segmentation fault. Missing dependency mebbe? I think this is what happened to me before and why I tried to source compile. If i remember correctly, it needs the Erlang programming language, SDL, ESDL (the Erlang SDL package), and Wings itself. I have SDL on my system already. I managed to get Erlang to compile just fine, but got an error on the ESDL package. A programmer I am not, I can do ./configure, make, and make install...if it doesn't work I forget about it.

Ahh well, I guess I shall have to experiment in...yuck...Windows ME or tinker with Blender.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

Post by Guest »

Blender is more powerful than Wings and has a harder learning curve as a result.
That's the only reason I use Wings although I have both installed and both can be exported to use in bzw.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I have both and my vote goes to Blender. The GUI of Wings is... annoying. I can't work with that - I cannot point out that THIS button or THAT window is at the wrong place, it's the whole concept which I don't like.
So I will continue using Blender. ;)
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

where can you find this blender thing?
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm

Post by Guest »

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Saturos wrote:I have both and my vote goes to Blender. The GUI of Wings is... annoying. I can't work with that - I cannot point out that THIS button or THAT window is at the wrong place, it's the whole concept which I don't like.
So I will continue using Blender. ;)
I started out with both, but picked up on how to use Wings before I did Blender, therefore I'm a Wings guy. It can do alot, plus trepan makes all kinds of cool plugins for it :).
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: No Workee....

Post by Teppic »

ClayOgre wrote:Ahh well, I guess I shall have to experiment in...yuck...Windows ME or tinker with Blender.
Wings works a treat under Crossover Office. I had grief with ERLANG too.
Blender is a great program.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Wings hands down. I tried blender for a week or so and it was to complicated for the simple minded (me). Wings I got used to after 3 days. Is less complicated then blender.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Wings seems easier to me.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Wings, with its extrude, deform, weld, and bridge capabilities is nice. But my favorite thing is Intrude. I am sure that my processor is dying of boredom, executing that same command all the time! That is what makes Wings3D worth it to me.
Wings3D is missing a lathe, splines, and binary operations. I don't know how to use any of these anyway, so it dosen't really matter to me.
I have never tried blender. I did once try GMAX (3D Studio Max) and it was so horribly, awfully complicated that I found it nearly impossible to make the doghouse from the tutorial in Wings. I never did get it done...at least in 3D Studio Max.
Gmax is the freebie version of 3D Studio Max, if you were wondering how I got a hold of a modeler priced in the quadruple digits.
Toastline
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Toastline »

I use Wings to model things, because I find it very easy, and I haven't come across something I wanted to make that I couldn't find a way to do. As for Blender, I use it for rendering and games. I'm not good with making complex forms in Blender.
Once you get the hang of Blender, though, you can do way loads of cool stuff.
OMNOM!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

I use wings NOT blender for a simpal reason:
i understand wigns and believe i'll never understand how to make a simpal object (i still don't :oops: ), i am not saying blender is worst than wings, acually it is alot better with modeling, i am jus saying that it is simpaler that is why some people use blender and some people use wings